The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Photos of progress

Go down 
+7
AB
auggie
Hyramposey
SonofSol
NDC
bluefloor
kevinpaw123
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

Photos of progress - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 am

Sure no problem Kevin. Nice pictures! It looks to me like maybe you got the same gold out that you got in when you projected it onto the lead. But if you can get the crystals to become red by digestion they may be more effective for doing what you're trying to do. I always reflect back on something Nick repeated from some alchemist, "the red is hidden inside the white." I've found that almost any white substance has the ability to turn red, whether it be milk or whatever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

Oh Kevin, there's one more thing I'm thinking about that might help you. You can try removing the salt at this point and I think there is a way. Make some distilled water super saturated with this salt, then add this salt solution to a large excess of pure alcohol (a very very large excess). Since salt is insoluble in alcohol it should precipitate out, possibly leaving the gold in solution. Then filter off the salt. Now either let the alcohol evaporate and you will have your gold material left behind or add the alcohol to olive oil and it should seperate from the little bit of water that's still in there since water is not miscible in oil but alcohol is. I thought about this method a while back for desalinating sea water but haven't actually tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
phillip_reed

phillip_reed

Male
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am

kevinpaw123,
the yellow/orange powder you have looks very close to the photos i took of my morning dew only path 3, without testing the compound we won't know if they are the same but hopefully i can get the dew to continue to do its work and in a few months i'll have a photo to show, i only have 30 liters from Dec and 30 liters from jan this month, but i pray that we all will have results this year.

phillip reed
Back to top Go down
https://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz48/Avatar1979/dew%20alchemy
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 am

goatz wrote:
Are you sure its getting hot enough? Is the crucible pure iron? Are their any problems sealing it? Are you projecting your intention onto it? Also I was doing some reading and the book said that the gold you are supposed to use should never be melted before the work because it gives up its air, so bullion and coins would be out. Just some thoughts, trying to help, not to be critical.

I used gold bullion to make the Stone and had no problems, so there is no need to worry about it. The theory that you need gold fresh from the mines is just another attempt at the old alchemists to try and make the new comers work harder for their treasure.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:51 am

Here is how you separate the Stone or normal gold from the salt.

First, to test and see if you have actually converted any of the gold into the Stone, simply take your dry powder and dissolve it in 100% alcohol. Really you can't get totally pure alcohol, but 95% should work also, but it will then dissolve a little salt also. You should be able to use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) which you can dehydrate using large amounts of calcined epson salt to make it 100% pure, or you can purchase it online already pure. The salt won't dissolve in the alcohol but the "Stone" will. You should probably also warm it up a bit to help ensure the Stone dissolves. If you evaporate the alcohol and a red oil or a red glassy material remains, then that is your Stone for sure because it can't be normal gold since the gold wouldn't have been able to dissolve.

Now unfortunately, most likely the gold is still normal gold. In that case you can dissolve the powder in hydrochloric acid, and if everything dissolves, then add some ethyl ether and stir it around real good and this will absorb all the gold chloride. Then you can separate the top ether layer and evaporate, and you should have your normal gold chloride. But if your gold hasn't even bonded to the salt, you should be able to just dissolve the powder in water and the salt will all dissolve, leaving a black powder on the bottom which is your gold oxide.
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 12:17 am

Hey Nick!

I found some HEET out in the garage, it's 99% Alcohol! I'll try that first.
I don't have any ethyl ether or hydrochloric acid.
Thanks again!

Ok so the Heet has some yellow coloring to it so that concerns me. I only tried a small fraction of an ounce onto a small amount of the salt/gold. I have some 91% alcohol and have added that to some as well, I'm no sure if the 91% will do. So far it looks like the lower % alcohol absorbed a small amount of salt in it. I ordered 99% rubbing alcohol so I have some on hand for future use. I've yet to order some ethyl ether or hydrochloric acid.

Last edited by kevinpaw123 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
phillip_reed

phillip_reed

Male
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 am

thanks Nick,
i think i did see that kevin had done that actually, i've sourced a half barrel planter from bunnings for the job and i'll see how much salt it makes now.

i'll be saving up for a electric graphite crucible as well once i have the shed built, i hope to see great things.

phillip reed
Back to top Go down
https://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz48/Avatar1979/dew%20alchemy
spagyricus

spagyricus

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Guys,

You can use Zeolite to remove the last 5% of water from Everclear. Zeolite is a molecular cage that traps the water molecules and allows the alcohol to pass. It is cheap and can be reused by drying it out. cheers
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 pm

You think it might be possible to use a large amount of Zeolite to extract the water from a bottle of 75% alcohol like Bacardi 151?

Also, according to wikipedia, stibnite is a zeolite and will absorb lots of water.
Back to top Go down
spagyricus

spagyricus

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 am

Nick,

Yes it should work, but 151 has other conegers that the zeolite will not remove. I still think it would be cheaper to use Everclear or some other brand of 190 grain alcohol. With Bacardi you pay for the name.

Best regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photos of progress   Photos of progress - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photos of progress
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7