The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Empty
PostSubject: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 5:53 pm

This one is making a flurry of posts on Lost Academy this mourning to try and get my mind off other things. So it is that I hope you all do not mind me sharing my beliefs and possible experience about Arsenic, it's detriments and subtle benefits.

The first time I became aware of Arsenic was when I read an article in Discover magazine and did a research report on a phenomenon known as hormesis. In hormesis, it is noted that small amounts of a toxin actually can invigorate living systems. The case study cited was one in which there were two samples of plants. One was fed extra amounts of arsenic and one was not. The ones which were fed the arsenic became greener and grew faster.

To understand this first let us backtrack a bit into history. Many people over the years were poisoned by Arsenic, and it was the common element in many murder mystery novels. No doubt it is indeed very poisonous and seems to be a house-hold name in that arena. One of the interesting things about Arsenic is that it's symptoms seemed to mimick other disorders so that the case of poisoning could not be determined. Therefore a sample of hair would have to be analyzed for Arsenic is deposited in this Prima Materia.

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring ArsenicAlchemySymbol

In Alchemy, Arsenic is written with a symbol of two interlocking triangles. This seems to indicate that Arsenic is an idiosynchratic substance, one with both deleterious, and rejuvenating effects. It is a double-edged sword so to speak. So to illuminate Arsenic's other side, let us backtrack further into history and uncover Arsenic's foundation to life.

Scientists made a big splash the August before last when they discovered a new form of photosynthesis, possibly owing to the first life-forms on earth. This archaic and simple bacteria found in a lake in California actually uses arsenic as an energy source. Says one of the researchers,
"It was quite tricky to culture the critters, because if you give them too much arsenic, it's still toxic even to them. But once we had figured out the right dose and gave it to them at regular intervals, they flourished on the stuff."

Arsenic indeed is in all the food we eat and has now been determined to be an essential trace element. For studies have been conducted with two groups of rats. One of the groups was given food completely devoid of Arsenic and the other, Arsenic containing food. The group receiving no Arsenic failed to reproduce and grow. Could this mean that all life forms are linked to the original bacteria from which we evolved, those which metabolized strictly this contrarious element? My mind only is fascinated to wonder at such a controversial hypothesis!

It is in this light that we must now turn to the legend of the Arsenic Eaters of Styria. In this town, the denizens had a strange habit of intentionally ingesting arsenic oxide in the form of a white powder. This they would get from their smelting towers. As their body became tolerant to the medicinal poison they would increase their dose. According to the legend, their bodies would become so hardy that they would be accustomed to taking a daily dose that would ordinarily kill three people. They could not do so without impunity, for they would fall into the habit of taking more and more.

But the benefits they remarked were, well, remarkable. Their stamina and endurance would increase so that they could work in the hills all day without becoming winded. Their rotundity would increase, their bone structure change, and their cheeks would become rosier. And the prowess of a 40 year old man would be like to that of a teenager.

It may seem hard to believe that taking what we think of as a poison in a certain way could actually have the very opposite effect and be so rejuvenating. Such is the irony of truth. But if the number of arsenic medicines sold at the pharmacies around the turn of the century were any indication, it would seem to provide the historical evidence.

continued on page 2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 6:00 pm

"Fowler's Solution" is a solution of potassium arsenate which was prescribed by Dr. Fowler as a remedy and a tonic. Ladies might be inclined to treat themselves to "Campbell's Arsenic Wafers," to make the complexion clear and fresh and for enlarging and invigorating any shrunken or undeveloped parts. "Jurocyl" is still sold today for enhancing the appetite of picky horses and improving the shine of their coats. Even Arsenic Trioxide which is very similar to what the Styrians were eating is marketed as a chemotherapy for killing cancer under the brand name "Trisenox."

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Charlesdarwin

Over the years many famous people induldged in Arsenic addiction or supplementation. Among those, the noteworthy scientist Charles Darwin. It is likely that Napoleon, who is said to have been poisoned by Arsenic, was actually taking it intentionally to stimulate his youthfullness. Another mis-identified case for Arsenic poisoning would be the 5000 year old "Iceman" found in the alps. Originally elevated levels of Arsenic in his hair lead Anthropologists to determine he had been poisoned, until an arrow wound was found in his back. Being that he was also found with medicinal mushrooms, it is likely that the paleo-human had a knowledge of practition. Therefore he was probably ingesting arsenic intentionally to help him hike in the hills, just as the Styrians Arsenic Eaters did centuries later.

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring 4realgar100309

Yet another, even stranger account exists from China. In China, Realgar is considered the best natural form of Arsenic as an ore. When we look at it, we see it's magnificent beauty. It's crystalline, crimson, ruby like nature calls to mind descriptions of the appearance of the Philosopher's Stone. And it's use for the transmutation of metals I'm sure is well cited in the manuscripts. In China there is a festival, steeped in Daoism, where the partakers drink realgar wine among other customs. The wine is considered a great medicine which "makes the mind become clever and the eyes become bright." But children, who were not allowed to take it, have king written with the wine on their foreheads.

And now that we have given a complete historical account of Arsenic as a medicine, let us look at it's actual effects on the body, and my accidental experience with it. My experience is notable, because I cherished the effects of a natural spring I discovered before being lended the suspicion that it's waters contained arsenic. Thus my discovery and curiosity for these primordial waters were genuine and not biased by prior knowledge of the stigmatized element.

continued on pg. 3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 5:57 pm

After having a rather unsettling yet rewarding experience of the supernatural kind I had somewhat of a change in life's path which caused me to move back to my hometown. Abandoning my college education I instead turned to hiking the hills and rivers in this beautiful area in the state known as the "Land of Enchantment." Here the lessons of professors were replaced with those of the birds and the bees.

While hiking in a place called "Bonito," which stands for Beautiful, I stumbled upon an interesting and beautiful phenomenon. I discovered a spring with luke warms waters that had an interesting aberration on the surface, a shimmering crystalline film. By this point I had already discovered Nick's first website, Alchemy is Real, and was well acquainted with similar phenomenon which we know of as the "Peacock's Tail" effect. In science it is known as Irridescence.

My mind was baffled as to what could cause this multi-colored material to form spontaneously on the surface of a natural body of water, so my investigative nature went immediately into action. It didn't take long before I harvested some of this irridescent film and placed in on the tip of my tongue, much to my amusement. Being satisfied with the sensation, I took a pinch of the red clay which this crystalline film seems to turn into and I rubbed it on my forehead. It felt very cool and relieving. I proceeded to take some of the film and clean it in distilled water, and set it upon tea to ferment, and I covered some eggs in the red clay and buried them in the ground. Over the coarse of a summer I visited this spring several times and hypothesized as to it's significance, and I named it the "Spring of Irridescence," or the "Spring of Reminiscence."

There was a decided sense that merely visiting the spring was very soothing to the soul and illuminating as to the nature of the world. I decided this was a primordial spring from which life itself forms, and that the early earth must have been itself covered by a shimmering irridescence. One day I finally got the guts to drink some of the water, and when I did I received a vision about how irridescence created life and all of the water on this planet. I understood why the sky is blue, and how everything came to be.

Continued on pg. 4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Using the clay from this spring on my face I noticed that it seemed to be very good for my skin. Then I began to drink a larger amount of the water where it mixes with the stream. It gave me a sense of the timelessness of things, and elevated my spirit to the point of euphoria. It's that feeling that we all get sometimes when the moon is full.

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Untitled

One time upon drinking a fair amount of this water I felt it unsettling my stomach, and it felt like my entire digestive system was being re-ordered. It was a bit uneasy at first, and I felt an ache in my colar bone which had received an injury many years prior. But that only lasted for a few seconds and I felt a hundred times stronger afterward, and my bone felt like it reinforced itself and healed completely.

At night I would have vivid dreams to wake up and my sheets would be drenched in sweat. I dreamt about finding a date tree and the taste of the dates was indescribably palpable. Not to soon after my Father actually told me that the waters in that canyon were considered dangerous and that they may contain Arsenic. So I was astonished, but in disbelief.

I decided I would go ahead and visit the spring anyway despite what my Dad had said. On the last visit I drank a little of the water, ate a little of the clay, and covered my whole body with it, including all of my hair. I noticed that the broad curls of my hair returned from the surface tension properties of the clay which suffused it. After washing it off, a few days later some of my hair fell out. And in it's place hair grew in which was darker, thicker of diameter, and overall much more robust and youthfull looking.

Then I went into a wave of research on Arsenic being used as a medicine and that is how I compiled the information listed earlier in this compendium. I noticed that, just like the reports of the Styrian Arsenic Eaters, my cheeks had become rosier, my appetite had increased, and indeed my entire body posessed more rotundity.

continued on pg. 5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm

There is not a single system in the body which Arsenic does not go to work on. When you ingest it, your gut develops a new type of bacteria much like what is found at the Lake in California. This bacteria is the most hardy and inherent of all and it allows your body to digest a multitude of toxins that normally it could not. And when the bacteria metabolize Arsenic extra energy is gained by the body, meaning that the body actually needs little or no oxygen. That is why the Ice Man was able to hike in the high mountains where the oxygen is in scarcity.

Arsenic increases the subcutaneous layer of fat meaning that it makes a person look rounded like a baby. It makes the lips full and red, and the skin becomes wonderfully smooth. One did notice however that one of my pinky toenails became orangish and almost fell off. If it had, would a new one have grown in it's place? My appetite was greatly increased, in every manner one might add. There was a point where the skin itself began to look shimmering, as well as the hair on the skin.

It was magnificent, wonderful, the true elixir of life! But I knew that it was too much to handle! Could all this benefit one was receiving come with a hidden detriment?

The most magnificent thing is just to contemplate and wonder, the insights gained by observing nature. For example, in the spring I saw how rudimentary aquatic plant life forms from the growing of little crystal trees at the bottom of the pool. And also I must not forget my vision of the Dates, and of the formation of the blueness or halo that suffuses the firmament. For the irridescent film starts as a blue thing, and then changes into every color. This explains how blue was the first color to appear in the atmosphere, and then an irridescence formed the first clouds, which then formed the oceans. Then in fresh water pools irridescence formed the beginnings of bacterial life, in slightly warm, slightly acidic waters. Examples still exist today! There is even a collection of similar places from around the entire world so everything is unique!

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Untitled1

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Untitled2

The take home message here is that Life is an Ironic, Beautiful thing. That which forms us and makes us live, is also poisonous to us. And we are living in an Irridescent world! But who knows how long one can go on eating Arsenic. Afterall, it's in all the food that we eat.

The spring of reminiscence
it is a place of innocence
where I do return, to seek my adolescence

and to avoid the senoscence and to extract an essence
that brings to mind the rule of kind
a time of deliquescence

The End
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Works Cited and Further Reading

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14537-arseniceating-bacteria-rewrite-evolutionary-history.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fowler's_solution

http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod2438.htm

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9C00E5DA1238EE3BBC4053DFB767838F649FDE

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/iceman.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2518iceman.html

http://english.sina.com/life/p/2009/0527/244239.html

http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/ads/healthandmedicine/external/CampbellsArsenicWafers-1899A.jpg.html

http://www.livescience.com/history/080212-napoleon-not-poisoned.html

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/online/drdarwinsletter.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=yyaTdY4UGLMC&pg=PP1&dq=arsenic+an+aphrodisiac#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.jasher.com/Godmoved.htm
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:04 am

Field,

I found your posts about arsenic intresting. I have recently came upon some more information that some poisons might be really good for you in small doses. Specifically that ingesting small amounts of some radioactive materials is a health boost because it engages enzymes and proteins that repair messed up DNA / RNA. I will e-mail you more info if you want.

Also after looking through it again, those are really pretty pictures of the arsenic crystals you posted.
sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Bluefloor,

Thanks I'm glad you found it interesting. The feeling you get from Arsenic is very tempting if I am correct about having ingested it. I believe that Dates have more arsenic than any other food source and that's why I saw them in my dream, to give me sort of an adjunct. It would be cool to ferment some dates and then evaporate all the alcohol to leave behind just the minerals and investigate them.

I'm interested in the radiation therapy and I'm sure that would be considered a form of hormesis. I believe there is an Alchemist named Art Kunkin who ingests pears that have been exposed to radioactive materials. Do you think it's kind of like a kick start to your body?

I'm glad you liked the pictures of Realgar. Of course I can't take credit because I pulled it from the internet and I've never actually seen realgar. The pictures of the spring however are mine. I especially like the one that shows the primordial plant life. There was a researcher who theorized that all life evolved from clay minerals but I'll leave that for another story.

regards
Field
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 pm

I get the feeling that it is like exersize, where since the body is broken down and damaged it has to rebuild itself stronger. But specific 'poisons' would be suited to specific things. Like the radiation breaks bonds and engages the bodies mechanism for repairing it. Like making that muscle more developed. I will e-mail you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring   Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compendium of Arsenic, and the Irridescent Spring
Page 1 of 1