The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dew collection method

Go down 
+10
yeshua
SonofSol
Zosimo
trueKabbalist
Felix_Madhouse
spagyricus
Crestington
Wilfried
philalethes
NDC
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Dew collection method - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Wilfried:

I hope you are right. Tonight is full moon night. Last night was completely
overcast all night long her in Dallas.
I have 5 complete setups ready to go. I will be collecting due tonight one way
or the other.

Blessings sunny
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:38 pm

It is 0.30 h and my hygrometer showed 88% relative humidity.
Temperature: +1.6°C

totally clear sky now, moon shines bright

put a bag with water, ice and salt in the middle of a garbage bag cut open which I clamped on four sticks so that it looks like a funnel.

If that doesnt work I definately have to wait for spring.

Good Luck to everyone else who tries to gather dew on this lovely fullmoon-night.

Wilfried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 pm

The Clouds are wispy and intermitten. I have 5 bags of ice and salt with
5 pyrex dishes ready to go. Will set them out at midnight. I set one dish
out 2 days ago and got about 60 ml. Hopefully mother nature will cooperate
over the next 3 or 4 days and I will be able to collect enough to start the
process.

I am ready to get started. bounce

Blessings sunny
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 am

Well it didnt work out for me.

The bag I described above didnt catch any dew at all and the icebag with salt was too cold so that it was frozen all around ....

at 6 am the relative humidity was 91% and the temperature was +1.2°C,
it was a bit cloudy again ...

better luck next time

I have already collected dew in november on some warmer days without any problem at all.

The dew point has to be at a few +°C and a normal icebag will do the trick real easy then.

Wilfried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 9:29 am

Upon reading the topic True, without error, certain and most true, I found that if the dew is not collected in May than were just wasting time. So are you saying that everyone collecting dew right now is wasting their time? If so why is NDC's IAO group already making their elixir? Not being a smart alack, just wondering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am

Put everything out about 11:45 last night. I have an area set up
where I have two 2x4s on the ground and some ceramic tiles on
top of that. The tiles had aready started collecting moisture at 11:45.
I sat out 5 1 gallon zip lock bags in pyrex dishes. I retrieved them
just before dawn this morning. After collecting the dew I had 450 ml.
I added that to what I already had and came up with 600ml.

I am going to put out 10 bags tonight. If Mother nature will
cooperate I should have enough to start. cheers

Blessings sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: dew collection   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:45 pm

I have been contemplating the easiest most economical way to harvest dew this spring and I came up with the following idea. I plan to take cotton bath towels, which should be able to hold a great deal of moisture since that is how they are designed to function, and suspend them horizontally between two parallel clothes lines. This way one will only need four stakes total, assuming that you don't already have closes line poles available, plus clothes line or even nylon rope and some clothes pins all of which are easily affordable. Plus of course bath towels which I assume most people already have available in their bathroom closets. I hope this idea helps others who don't already have concrete plans for how they will collect their dew.

Silverdragon07 sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Maybe it's just me bit I have found the closer to the ground you are the
better it works. I am harvesting about 4 to 6 inches off the ground with pretty
decent results. I tried using the bags of ice and salt at about 40 inches
up and got very little dew.

It looks like I am going to get some rain between now and 2 A.M. but
after that percip drops to 10%. I will be setting out 10 bags tonight.
I was just outside and you can feel the moisture in the air.
The ceramic tiles in my harvesting area are dripping wet already
and the sky is almost totally clear. I think the rain will hit in about an
hour.

Hopefully mother nature will continue to cooperate the rest of the night

YEA!!! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Good Luck

tell us tomorrow how it went!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 1:42 am

It's been cloudy and overcast here lately.

Is the dew still charged if the moon is not visible because it's overcast.. I have the feeling that I should wait for a clear night but it might take over a week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 am

Wellllllllll, it is 5:46 a.m. and all is well here in Dallas. It is a nice gentle 47 degrees
outside, the dew point is 27 degrees, Relative Humidity 40%, the moon is Waning
Gibbious.
The temperature dropped too low which forced the dew point down and I did not
collect a single drop of dew. In fact what moisture that did collect turned into frost.

I will try again tonight, I'm sure it will be much better tonight.
The moon is starting to receed so tonight will probably be my
last chance for this month.

I can always use the 600 ml. I have and work with that.

Blessings sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 am

On the 9th of february (full moon) : sky was clear but no dew in my big plastic sheet --> however, the roof of my car was full of big droplets Laughing I am going to try metal sheets and ceramic tiles too.

With pine needles dew collect, I was thinking about the pollen during spring that could contaminate the dew. The yellow pollen amount from pines is incredibly high in spring.

I have found a few info about coniferous pollen:

Period and duration of conifers pollination

In the french seeds orchards, pollination intervenes at the end of the winter (larches in february-march) or in spring (maritime pine, Douglas, spruce and fir trees in April, Scots pine and black pine in May). An exception however: the cedars which release their pollens in autumn.

In orchard of coniferous tree, the duration of pollination varies between one week and more than one month according to the year and the orchard.

On a day scale, the greatest part of pollen is released when humidity of the atmosphere is lowest, at the end of the morning and during the afternoon.

Anyway, I envisage 2 or 3 different dew trap Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 am

I´M in the middle of the Summer in in Brazil, so There is no way for me to collect dew, Its pretty hot and humid, but very raining with tropical storms, Ihaven´t seem the moon for awhile. So its very important for me to collect the experience you guys are having.

I realised that the equivalent in the south hemisphere for May is November. so I´ll have time to preprare for my process, I might do it earlier in spring wich is september . But like the old alchemist said , it could be difficult. So I didn´t realised how difficult this process might be, even being so simple . The window time frame to collect Dew is just a few lucky days. so a method of getting as much dew as possible within a few days must be very well studied in advance.

Its been interesting so far
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

I don't think metal will work, it absorbs and or nullifies the lunar fire in the dew.

I also have noticed the same situation on the windshield of my car. The reason for this is the temperature difference from the inside of your care to the outside.
It's colder on the inside of your car then the air on the outside. This temperature differential causes the moisture to condense.

It's the same process when you get up on a cold morning and go out to your car
You breath warm air into your cold car, it causes the moisture to condense and
your windshield fogs up.

sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 pm

What do you guys think about a dehumidifier, it would rake in the dew?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 am

There is a post by Nick. It is in the first page of this thread.

There is a member of my group I.A.O. that is using a
dehumidifier. But so far he has not completed the work, or even
gotten to the stage of completing the Alkahest and testing it on
dissolving metals. So we will have to wait and see.

It is being tried. If you have access to a dehumidifier you may want to try it too.

MO1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am

Hi everyone just wanted to into duce myself, I bart or barticus as my user name. I havebeen collecting dew all week and it has been more challenging than I had thought but 3 small bottles have come to pass. I am using Himalayan salt and dead sea salt. Thanks Nick for everything I have had an interest in this for a while and you have been a major help. To the good life everyone!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: A new material for condensing dew   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 pm

A new material for condensing dew

http://defis.cea.fr/defis/114/defis114_p8-11.pdf

DEW TO DRINK FRESH

The inhabitants of the Andes climb in the summits of the Cordillera for stretching nets in order to collect the water of the clouds! There are also researchers of the ECA who finalize curious receptacles to collect dew, better, to support the condensation of the steam of the atmosphere. In collaboration with the CNRS and the university of Corsica of Ajaccio, the service of low temperatures of the DRFMC was interested with the phenomenon, which proves to be an auxiliary potential source of water in the event of prolonged dryness…
The dew settles on any sort of object if the temperature of this one is lower by a few degrees with that of the wet ambient air. “It was thus necessary to design a sensor able to cool sufficiently so that water vapor of the air condenses on its walls”, explains Daniel Beysens, DRFMC’s engineer. Also he took his inspiration from the natural phenomenon of radiative cooling: when an object emits infra-red radiations, its temperature drops. He thus has designed a new material composed of microballs with strong infra-red emission incorporable in plastic sheets or in paintings. Result: a receptacle covered with this radiative condenser allow to obtain up to 0,6 liter of water per 1 square meter. Currently used in several places of the world (Polynesia, Croatia, Israel, India), it is of a promising output. The radiative condenser is so powerful that the dew point can be reached at the sunset, when this phenomenon appears rather in the middle or at the end of the night. Of course, the optimization of the device is subjected to several conditions: “The water content of the air must be higher than 70%, the installation should not be disturbed by a strong wind nor one cloudy sky, which decreases radiative cooling”, specifies Daniel Beysens, before adding that the purity of the water thus recovered, which depends naturally on the cleanliness of the condenser and its environment (aerosols, atmospheric gases), is drinkable in the great majority cases. For the time being, the researcher, who has created association OPUR to promote this particularly simple technology to implement and economic (from 0,04 € up to 1€ per square meter), works hard to make a map of the dew areas. And luckiest will be able to drink dew of the morning…

Question: Is this material appropriate seeing that we do not want a dew point reached at the sunset. The MOON needs (time) to play its impregnation part, doesn't it ? Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm

It sounds very promising. Yes, but we put our condensers out at Midnight
and retrieve them at 5:30 to 6:30 am. This give the moon time to do it's
thing.

I am building a fool proof method to collect due at any outside temperature.
Will take pictures and post some time next week.
We will see how well it works.

MO 1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 am

Well guys, I collected another 75 ml. of dew last night. That gives me a total of
675 to 680 ml. My Atlantic sea salt is on the way. It should be here in a couple days.
I hope my wife doesn't go looking for the heating pad and if she does I have a
Walgreen's within 10 minutes of my house. I purchased a bottle of wine with
a screw on lid. I guess I need to find someone to help me empty the bottle and
I'm ready to get started.

The only thing left is to do the work.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 am

Hi magnum.opus1 Very Happy

Great news ! Cheers ! drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: To Magnum Opus   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:47 am

Congratulations Magnum!

I would like to see a photo of your Dew Collection method. It really worked well then!

Best wishes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 6:00 pm

I have an idea that might work. I was reading up on dew and found that one of the best places it forms are on car roofs. Here's my idea. What if you took a bottle, ie. wine bottle, cleaned it, and set it on top of the roof of a car during the day, then, you would let it set over night till morning when you would collect the bottle. The heat from the day will bounce off the car roof and heat up the glass. During the night the glass will cool off, thus creating a prime method of collecting dew. There would be no need to empty out bags, because the dew would already be in the bottle. What do you guys think about that method? Also, I was reading the forums and found that it was best to collect dew on a clear night, but does the month really matter? ie, May/June. Or can it be during any night that is clear and the moon is shinning?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Leyden the alchemist said that it should be in th efull moon days of may an djune, wich is at the peak of spring time in the north hemisphere. That would be in the november - december in the south hemispehere. He implied that in any other months it would be hard to get the results.

I´m trying to figure out why.

I have two theories:

1- It´s near the Equinox , that is days are almost equal to the nights. however at any rate
it would make sense to pick up Dew in the winter solstice when the nights are longer and you would get more exposure to the full moon. But maybe in the winter is so freezin where he lived that
it was impossible to collect any Dew.

2- In the Spring time life abounds with energy. The energy of the plants, insects and animals are in the air, polen, hormones , pheromones etc so maybe it produces a more charged Dew. Hence the May Queen pagan festivities of the old times to simbolize a flourishing and happy time full of life.

But those are just my own speculation.

It may work with Dew from other months. Like in the tropics it would be harder to do this operation if you have low moisture , very hot days all year long and very high Dew point.

As for your car roof ideia. It may do nothing because the car roof was hot and is a big plain surface.
I`m thinking about Pet bottles with ice and salt water inside hanging. the Dew will form on the cask of the bottles and drip down into a funnel to the receptacle. Just like a Beer botle very cold in the summer time...

hmm I think I´ll go for a Beer now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks mrgiller,
Looks like I'll have to rethink my dew gathering method. So, perhaps you can collect dew at anytime of the year. If you were to set your bottles of dew out on the days the moon is full, then you would get the full benefit of the full moon. Oh, well, maybe I'll try the bottle idea. with the buckets or the funnels, either that, or buy some new sheets and hang them out some where, that way I could wring them dry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dew collection method   Dew collection method - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dew collection method
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next