The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery of EverBurning Lamps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 852
Registration date : 2016-11-12

Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Empty
PostSubject: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 3:32 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 6:41 am

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2016 10:34 am

over

Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 am

over

Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2016 9:59 am

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2017 10:52 am

over

Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 pm

over

Back to top Go down
PulvisRubeus

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Everlasting Lights are fun to make, and so is the transmutation of metals to gold and silver, but what is even more important is the actual Medicine. Lights and wealth are nothing when compared to health. With health, we can see the World more clearly, and elevate our understanding of the interconnections between matter and spirit.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 8:10 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 9:03 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PulvisRubeus

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I know what you mean. On forums I also used to focus on the Philosophical/Theoretical parts of treatises which dealt with the philosophy of how minerals grew in the earth and how to observe Nature - especially the older treatises. But everybody else seemed to disregard those arts and focus only on the practical recipes. I got severely criticized for that perspective.

However, I have learned far more from the philosophical/theoretical parts than from the practical parts. I now have an idea of how the Philosophers thought about the Subject, and as a result am better able to understand the explanations of the process, which was often revealed in philosophical terms and expressions.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 1:24 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
PulvisRubeus

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I totally agree that they were wrong about their view of Nature. But I still feel it is important to completely understand their perspective because they were attempting to understand what they actually observed. Their observations were deadly accurate, only their explanations were not. But using their explanations is the key to the observations and the process itself. Afterwards, the process can be better described by our own modern scientific understanding.

However, based on their philosophy, there was an aspect about the process that is still unknown to modern Science. Only after this aspect is fully investigated, can it become explained and then become part of modern Science.

Thus I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to start with modern Science and work backwards to understand Alchemy. I think you have to start with the incorrect philosophical understandings of the old Masters, use that to interpret their allegories and metaphors, then use that to understand their accurate observations, and then use that to re-create the actual process. Only then do you have a process that can be subjected to the methods of modern Science.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 6:25 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 2:18 pm

over

Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 4:09 pm

over

Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 4:57 pm

over

Last edited by Traveller on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 5:50 pm

over
Back to top Go down
Schmildvich

Schmildvich

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2017-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Pulvis Rubeus,

PulvisRubeus wrote:
I know what you mean. On forums I also used to focus on the Philosophical/Theoretical parts of treatises which dealt with the philosophy of how minerals grew in the earth and how to observe Nature - especially the older treatises. But everybody else seemed to disregard those arts and focus only on the practical recipes. I got severely criticized for that perspective.

However, I have learned far more from the philosophical/theoretical parts than from the practical parts. I now have an idea of how the Philosophers thought about the Subject, and as a result am better able to understand the explanations of the process, which was often revealed in philosophical terms and expressions.

YES! I have also found that focusing on how the Philosophers thought and understand what they had at their disposal at the time they were living gives us great insight into what they were accomplishing and what we can accomplish today.

The theoretical/Philosophical parts of their books are just as important as the practical guides the Masters wrote. I have found that more often than not the Sages were writing with "veiled tongue" and purposefully obfuscating their words. Still, much can be learned!

PulvisRubeus wrote:
I still feel it is important to completely understand their perspective because they were attempting to understand what they actually observed. Their observations were deadly accurate, only their explanations were not. But using their explanations is the key to the observations and the process itself. Afterwards, the process can be better described by our own modern scientific understanding.

Indeed! Well put.

PulvisRubeus wrote:
Thus I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to start with modern Science and work backwards to understand Alchemy. I think you have to start with the incorrect philosophical understandings of the old Masters, use that to interpret their allegories and metaphors, then use that to understand their accurate observations, and then use that to re-create the actual process. Only then do you have a process that can be subjected to the methods of modern Science.

I totally agree! We need to put ourselves in the Ancients' shoes and picture in our mind exactly how they were working and what they were describing when attempting to recreate their Art.
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 am

It would be very cool to recreate an Ever Burning Light...  I often wondered it Phosphorus was involved.

ps

Traveller,  quite the chilled pic  sunny
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks Kirk,

There is a problem, your inbox is not receiving any message. Kindly check it.

When I click to send a message then it is giving this note,...

This or those user(s) do not wish to receive private messages : Kirk

Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Traveller,

I have have fixed the problem, thx for the notice.

...the Groundhog saw its shadow!

shite, 6 more weeks..... boo

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery of EverBurning Lamps   Mystery of EverBurning Lamps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery of EverBurning Lamps
Page 1 of 1