The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Proper Equipment

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Proper Equipment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 am

Hi birdofhermes and Mr Collette,

I intend to use a Champagne Brut Rosé's bottle (pink Champagne) because it is transparent glass. Would that be possible to add a picture of the cork you have found as it is a very important condition in succeeding and keeping the spirit inside the bottle during such long months? drunken

Thanks a lot,
Philippe

birdofhermes wrote:
But I went to a couple of grocery stores and I think I have found the right thing. It comes on sparkling wine and the interior screw is of plastic. It's really not a true cork, but it is very tight.

Admin wrote:
Yeah, bird, the cap you describe is the one I used on my bottle. I was able to bring the temperature up over 300°F without it failing, but the top of the bottle really didn't get that hot. Which is probably important so the dew can form droplets again, and keep recirculating, like a repeated closed distillation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 am

Just for the sake of info: Joe Champion does now have photos, a lot of them, and videos. And a precise "scientific theory" behind his claims, at www.drjoechampion.com.

Only the theory may look impressive at first sight, but nonsense when you reflect a bit about it -unles there's something more he did not tell us .

If I understand it correctly, the idea is this: every atom resonates at a frequency determined by the linear distance between its atoms. You take an isotope of an element, heat it or cool it so that by expansion/contraction it attains the same linear distance as the isotope of another element, and by resonance the first isotope turns into the other one.

He gives the data for silver and gold at 20ºC, and the formula to calculate the temperature at which silver atoms shall expand to the linear distance of gold atoms, and turn into gold.

But then, that's expanding silver to get the distance which corresponds to gold at 20ºC. Silver atoms shall always have the linear distance of gold atoms, at any temperature; only, the distance between silver atoms at one temperature equals the distance between gold atoms at a differente temperature. In other words: if that's all there is, then the precise scientific theory ends up being plain silly.

But then, Flash says he has made gold by that process. ?????
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:19 pm

It doesn't really matter if Joe's process works or not because we do NOT discuss transmutation on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 am

I only brought up the PR subject to contrast other processes with real alchemy. That's why I haven't commented further on it, and I'll never debate an issue. Yes, I've done it, but if it were that profitable or beneficial I would've never have pursued this path we are all on now.Furthermore, the gold from salt is far too dangerous and expensive to set up. As far as I'm concerned the subject of PR, or any process other than alchemy, is dead. Sorry I brought it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get together all the equipment I need for the Work but I am still confused over one point. What exactly is meant by a "screw cap cork"?

I've looked at all the champagne bottles I can find in my local area and I can only find bottles that have either a proper cork with a cage or have a plastic stopper with a cage.

Is it ok to use a plastic stopper or will the Alkahest dissolve it?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Try a E-Z seal mason jar, they have a wire bale to hold the lid down, the lid is glass, and has a rubber seal that is barely exposed. I don't know if this will work, because it may let some of the steam escape.

Proper Equipment - Page 2 Millvil[img][/img][img][/img]

Proper Equipment - Page 2 Colors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:11 am

Champagne bottle with a screw cap cork. Bottles and screw caps are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.leeners.com/wine-bottles.html
Back to top Go down
philalethes

philalethes

Male
Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: wrong bottles?   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Goatz, that link is for wine bottles with screw cap. They have a link on the page for champagne bottles, which, alas, do not show any screwtop bottles. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://cista.net

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 am

Few questions here about the glassware -

I have read some accounts in alchemical texts of the bottles exploding. (it could also be referring to the later stages of the 5th and perhaps even 6th stone)

At 200oF for the sand bath, I am quite certain that wouldn't do it for the thick wine or champaign glass.
But what about these
http://www.indigo.com/glass/gphglass/volumetric-flask.html

I have some of those - they're great - nice long necks, plenty of time to condense the vapours back down into the solution. But the glass is quite thin... hope it is not a problem.

Thing is, the monk says to use a short necked bottle, which I don't fully comprehend why, since Nick says "Also a flask with a long condenser attached to the top might be ideal." which seems to be more akin to what a lot of the alchemical texts I have read speak about.

Also, I am definitely going to go with a round bottom flask -
the symbolism is abundant of the snake eating its tail (the Orobouros)
and the process of evaporation and then condensation fits this - the rounded bottom is ideal for the process and again, is seen in some alchemical texts.
I can visualize it all circulating nicely with the round bottom - not saying this is essential. Obviously it is not essential - or else Nick would have suggested it.

I just like the idea and the feel of it and wanted to put it out there to see what y'all had to say.

So Nick, short necked, as in the monk's 2nd letter, is not necessary, correct?

Last edited by Shlomo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 2:13 am

Guys, The process of Circulation inside your Container is what makes
this all work. The more surface area that you have on the inside of the
jar or flask or bottle above your liquid is what allows the vapors to condense
and fall back down into the your dew mixture. This is what strengthens your elixir.

If you have a small bottle with no condensation surface it will probably take
twice as long for the process to work.

I am going to set mine up tomorrow. I will use a long neck bottle. Heat the bottom
where the dew is and cool the top with a small fan to help the condensation process.

Blessings,

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 2:35 am

If you want the ideal device for this process and you got an extra $650.00
or so laying around, guys this is a Pelican.

Proper Equipment - Page 2 Pelican1

This is a modern day version of a very slow distiller. O K, Maybe not perfect but it is truley an amazing device.
Yea, I know it doesn't seal up. Errrmp!!

This is where you can find it.

http://www.crucible.org/distillation.htm

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 2:50 am

Nice stuff Magnum.opus...

thanks for the confirmation of the importance of the circulation.
That's why I think the round bottom flask is the best.

This sort of thing (just the visual, not the place to buy)

http://images.inmagine.com/img/creatas/cr15202/cr15202051.jpg

Ha ha... i just realized that in the artwork at the very top of each of these forum pages, in the far right, with the purple liquid in it, is the very sort of flask I would want to use. that is it.
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 8:16 am

You should google for Kjeldahl flasks.

Wilfried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 11:44 am

From the monk's letter -
<ashcupel over such a gentle flame so that the glass gets only warm>>

I did a search for ashcupel both on this forum and online - and came up short to understand what this is.
Any idears?

Also, this is a thought that came to mind - seems an important consideration for the strengthening of the Stone, not the Alkahest, which will be very liquidy and pour out of any bottle.

But... when we get to the oil stage after the water bath and then the powder stage, if our flasks are too 'deep' with too small a mouth, wouldn't it be hard to get the powder / oil out of the bottom without wasting some of this precious stuff?

So, wouldn't it require breaking the flask?

I suppose breaking the flask is not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Just wondered if this problem had ever been address?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Guys, Use the cheap seat champagne bottle or the sparkling grape juice
bottle with the plastic screw on lids. This is what Nick has used, it has worked
for him. Just keep it simple.

We are not sending rockets to Mars or anything like that.
We are just creating a sealed container with enough space above the Dew to
allow a moisture circulaton path.

It is a simple recirculation condenser. sunny

Blessings,

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,

ahhhhh, the sweet sound of sense and simplicity always strikes a harmonic with me, although that Pelican is asthetically soothing.

The only way I can explain it is like this...

If you tidy a room. Then the room is tidy.
If you keep on tidying to the point of almost un-natural tidyness, perfecting everything more and more, standing back.., re-tidying,.. then you will start to notice more and more things out of place, which only your eye can see. Bit like over decorating a cake. Have you seen an over decorated cake?
Through perfection it turns into a mess which doesn't resemble the effort and perfection put in.

However, this maybe is what is meant.... aludel
Just my opinion.
I hope this helps.

Karitsis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Karitsis wrote:
Hi,

ahhhhh, the sweet sound of sense and simplicity always strikes a harmonic with me, although that Pelican is asthetically soothing.

The only way I can explain it is like this...

If you tidy a room. Then the room is tidy.
If you keep on tidying to the point of almost un-natural tidyness, perfecting everything more and more, standing back.., re-tidying,.. then you will start to notice more and more things out of place, which only your eye can see. Bit like over decorating a cake. Have you seen an over decorated cake?
Through perfection it turns into a mess which doesn't resemble the effort and perfection put in.

However, this maybe is what is meant.... aludel
Just my opinion.
I hope this helps.

Karitsis

The last 2 posts really put me at ease.

and Karitsis- Your words do help. Your right and I, above all, need to relax.

thanx (and sorry we ever argued I feel really bad about it),

-val

PS: I laughed so hard when I read our sign compatibilities- we're not suppose to get along cuz we're both kinda hard-headed Wink This first line read "Interesting and intense but be prepared for separate vacations." lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Val,

Thank you, although your kind apology is not necessary, as I can appreciate your reasoning.

I re-viewed my post and understand how entering all the info. in one stroke could have come across as self righteous and possibly aggressive.
I'm sorry if I made you feel unwelcome, this was not my intention.
I see your "hard headedness" as a Passion, which applied correctly is a fine quality.

We are all attempting to perfect processes internally and externally, working towards a common goal whilst occasionally approaching from different directions.
However, I believe Love is our common bond which will assist us in our objectives.

shine on,
Karitsis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Karitsis wrote:
Hi Val,

Thank you, although your kind apology is not necessary, as I can appreciate your reasoning.

I re-viewed my post and understand how entering all the info. in one stroke could have come across as self righteous and possibly aggressive.
I'm sorry if I made you feel unwelcome, this was not my intention.
I see your "hard headedness" as a Passion, which applied correctly is a fine quality.

We are all attempting to perfect processes internally and externally, working towards a common goal whilst occasionally approaching from different directions.
However, I believe Love is our common bond which will assist us in our objectives.

shine on,
Karitsis

yes-thats exactly what happened- i just read it all and then responded with the first impression I got. I'm glad we've resolved our differences and it is love that binds us all and I believe that love for each other and peace has brought us even closer. I think our little brawl has lots of lessons in it and have set an example for those that come after us.

xoxo,

val
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Beer bottle.   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 pm

I found a very nice type of bottle that can be used. I have used similar bottles to brew root beer, which creates quite a bit of internal pressure due to the release of carbon dioxide by the yeast used to make the root beer. A simple screw on cap if not properly tightened will allow the release of gasses. This is what causes soda pop or beer to go flat after its been opened even if you replace the lid. For this reason this type of bottle may work better. They can be found at the following web sight:

http://www.jwdover.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=463

Sincerely:

Silverdragon07 sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Hello Silverdragon07,
I like your bottle very much, because it could withstand a lot of pressure.
But I believe this kind of bottle isn't all too good if used for the dew.
The bottle must have enough surface area at the cool neck so that the dew will
condense and convect properly.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just though you might want to consider this when
you'll use this type of bottle. Smile
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm

A pelican is a an elaborately beautiful device, but you have to remember their needs to be a certain amount of pressure built up in the bottle, which is why you fill it half way. Using a pelican, you would be leaving a tremendous amount of space for air, and hardly any pressure would build up, and you would technically be filling the container with only 10% liquid.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 pm

I am planning on using a crock pot slow cooker for my baths. Someone posted a picture of a vari-power unit to make a finer power adjustment on these. I cannot find the thread that it is in and I cannot find one on the web. I am hoping the person who posted that picture can help. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:36 am

bluefloor wrote:
I am planning on using a crock pot slow cooker for my baths. Someone posted a picture of a vari-power unit to make a finer power adjustment on these. I cannot find the thread that it is in and I cannot find one on the web. I am hoping the person who posted that picture can help. Thanks.

G'Day bluefloor,

You will find that picture of the crockpot and controller under "The Elixir Process", page 4....

Cheers..... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 pm

hmmm has anyone looked at the heating mantles at QGlass.com?? or already have one and if so would that be good if it could reach both the desired temperatures of the sand bath and water bath? i aslo was going to have a pyrex bottle made with pressure tight cap and i see the different bottles everyone is using and want the best shape but not sure what exactly that is i was thinking egge because someone told me in induses vortexes and that might be good can someone tell me or show the the exact shape that would produce best results? nick if u can i would like your apinion. Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper Equipment   Proper Equipment - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proper Equipment
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next