The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Recovery of Silver Nitrate

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Felix_Madhouse

Felix_Madhouse

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Recovery of Silver Nitrate Empty
PostSubject: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm

hello all, I was looking for a bit of advice on a project I'd like to begin working on soon.

I have a large bottle of silver nitrate solution, and I would like to re-crystallize the silver nitrate into it's pure form to use in making a lunar stone with GW during one of the next full moons. I've tried evaporating a little in a pyrex measuring cup, but it seemed that the nitrate sort of fused with the glass, and I couldn't recover any of it. what would be a good medium for evaporation, that I can recover the silver nitrate crystals from afterwards without so many difficulties? I would rather not add solution to the GW, seems like that would dilute it and take from it's potency. I don't really have much money, or access to any chemical supply stores, to be purchasing additional chemicals for this process, so really I need a suggestion that doesn't involve using a lot of additional equipment. I know I could convert it to silver chloride easily enough, but I'm not sure that form will as readily dissolve as it's nitrate.

currently I am saving money towards getting my own place to do everything at, I have some places to work at right now but nowhere to quite call my own. I may be looking at some help coming in January, a new friend wants to help fund my projects and see some of them through to completion and has the money to do so, but I'll see what is meant to be. Plenty of people have told me by now that they'd like to help me and simply couldn't, as their lifestyle wouldn't allow. I pray every day for something to come help me in this, and I understand now that certain things are only permitted to happen at certain points in my life, relative to astrological cycles and influences of the heavenly bodies. all things happen as they can and should in time. I pray also that none of you have lost spirit or hope in what you are doing or why you are doing it, we all individually have been chosen to play very special roles in these times and must do our best to fulfill our cosmic roles as who we are. keep faith in all that you do, and may your loved ones, teachers and masters guide you onto your chosen paths. namaste and blessed be-
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Felix,

I haven't researched it before but haven't
persons recovered silver from old negatives?
Is this where Silver Nitrate is recovered?

Good luck

Sounds like your philosophical walkabout
is nearing a completion, don't lose sight of
your road, many of us have been upon the
path of the fool! (tarot)

Back to top Go down
Felix_Madhouse

Felix_Madhouse

Male

PostSubject: Re: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 am

silver halide is the form used in film, I purchased this bottle from a chemical supply store near sacramento, CA. it is a saturated silver nitrate solution, I believe it's 1 litre, don't really want to dig it out this moment to read everything off the label. everyone else here is trying to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Felix_Madhouse

Felix_Madhouse

Male

PostSubject: Re: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
ramen

ramen

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 am

Felix_Madhouse wrote:
Any suggestions?
Evaporation of the solution in a glass container at room temperature should yield nice, colorless crystals which are easily scraped from the glass.

I would dump some of your AgNO3 solution in a glass baking dish like a glass 9x13 inch oven pan (cheap at a second hand store) and put it somewhere warm and dark, like on a hot water heater. Warm (but not hot) to evaporate the water slowly for nice big crystals, and dark because light can turn them black, depending on impurities.

Once they are dry, scrape them out with a plastic implement of some type.

Do not touch them with metal (especially if there is any moisture at all), because silver nitrate solution will plate silver onto many metals (anything less noble than silver), while dissolving that metal into the solution.

Oh, and the brown stains on your hands will go away in a few weeks. If you manage to do this w/o staining your skin, either you are an exceptionally careful worker or your solution does not contain silver nitrate.

If it's silver-ish and yummy, and it doesn't stain, it must be...

- ramen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recovery of Silver Nitrate   Recovery of Silver Nitrate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recovery of Silver Nitrate
Page 1 of 1