The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

dont use Rubber stoppers

Go down 
+5
Wilfried
NDC
Zosimo
SonofSol
auggie
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
auggie

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-03-23

dont use Rubber stoppers Empty
PostSubject: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 6:53 pm

hello everyone this is auggie.. well my 3 month Alcahest project is over . but it was ruined pale because i used a " RUBBER STOPPER" i guess their not ment to be used for 3 mo. of continious heating or the salty water is too acrid .. either way it reeked of black rubber when i opened it , So I didnt dare ingest it. But i did drop some gold leaf into it to see if it would dissolve. it broke-up into tiny gold particles.. but i was soo disheartened i just dumped it all out. I was useing a boiling flask with the black, natural rubber stopper that was provided.. i assumed that if it was good enough for chemists it should work for me .. its hard to find boiling flasks with Glass stoppers.. there are other types of soft stoppers.. rubber, butyl, silicone, neoprene, teflon etc. but our demands on them are excessive compared to what their normal uses are.. any suggestions ? auggie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:18 am

Hi Auggie,

if you don't have any more dew don't miss this full moon quarter (3 days before the 9th May 3 days after). Ground glass stoppers with round glass flask or ground quartz stoppers with round quartz flasks can be obtained from any lab equipment store, like www.qglass.com. Also clamps are advisable to keep the stoppers in place.

Frank

Smile
Back to top Go down
SonofSol

SonofSol

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Carried on..   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:17 am

Instead of throwing it out, you should have digested the dissolved Gold, and see if it brought any fruition... In alchemy even if things dont go the way we desired or expected, we still try to get as much out of our processes as possible... One is ONLY to throw out matter that is agreed upon as being caput mortem, or which one is CERTAIN cannot be used any further, and even THAT should still be experimented upon to discover more...
Back to top Go down
auggie

Male

PostSubject: failed experiment   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:00 pm

hello Frank & Sonofsol.. thanks for the tip Frank ..but ive been searching for a 1000 ML. flat bottomed boiling flask or erlenmeyer flask with glass stoppers for some time now. the origional dew formula calls for one Litre of dew which means you need to use a 1000 ml container to do this process ? and 200 to 500 ml. is all i can find. and to answer Sonofsol yes it hurt to pour it out. and it was probably criminal, but had you seen & smelled it you would not have wasted any gold leaf on it either. i did put some Gold leaf in it but decided i didnt want to waste anymore time on this Nasty batch.. and besides I was more interested in the Medical / Spiritual aspects of it anyway. which was now, totally contaminated and also i wanted to quickly post my report & stop anyone else from useing black rubber stoppers.. take care you guys later Auggie I love you
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:16 am

Here's to you Bro and Sist a very goood clasp for the ground glass stopper. It's from Switzerland. At the moment I don't have more info.

dont use Rubber stoppers Clapsforgroundglassstoppers

...And I'm producing a LUTUM SAPIENTIAE with the help of some experts in Florence.
Of course with grounded bulb glass and some natural gums.
Because, it's true that ususually ground glass ballons & stoppers keep the pressure but it's not always so...

What you think about ?

Zosimo
Back to top Go down
SonofSol

SonofSol

Male
Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:53 am

Thats a great one Zosimo, and using the natural gum... NICE cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
auggie

Male

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:46 pm

yes zosimo. good choice thats a "KECK" brand metal standard taper clip ..they come in 4 sizes at about $8.00 each Coleparmer.com sells them here in the states.. no use takeing any chances . 3 to 6 months is a big investment in time and worry Auggie..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:45 am

Hello Auggie,

Yes, I found a huge difference when I turned up my heat from the Bath to the higher temp. I had my vial sitting on a rubber-like round thingie to mute the heat coming up from the bottom of my bath, and when I turned it up, after a few days, it melted to a nasty goo. Also, the oil I had sitting atop my water turned yellow and smelly. Anyway--

I bought ground glass stoppers and the little clamps at www.unitedglasstech.com
Back to top Go down
auggie

Male

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 6:34 am

Thanks a bunch !! Ramasseur de Rosee. that is a great web site, my search is over ..Now i can get my flasks, glass stoppers & Keck clamps all in one spot and cheap.. "unitedglasstech.com " Very Happy Auggie
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 2:30 pm

I have plastic keck clips, and they are totally useless. They flex too much and allow the glass stopper to rise up enough for gas and pressure to escape easily. I wasn't even aware metal keck clips existed!
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:41 am

But will the metal ones prevent all movement?

I was planning to use both lutem and a keck clamp for backup.
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:48 pm

I bought these metal clamps as well but noticed that while they do hold the stopper in place it isnt hermetically sealed. I even assume, depending on the clamp / stopper, that the clamp would actually lift the stopper a tiny tiny bit)

I know for sure that a ground joint flask (half filled with water) with a hallow glass stopper holds the pressure of 200F on its very own for 2 weeks.

I have yet to test the glass stopper alone at 120F, due to less heat the glass stopper wont expand that much and will therefor withhold less pressure on the other hand at 120F there is less pressure to begin with …

Wilfried
Back to top Go down
auggie

Male

PostSubject: cheap method to eliminate stopper movement   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:12 am

HELLO WILFRIED & RAMASSEUR . TO KEEP MY STOPPER LOCKED IN PLACE I SIMPLY DRAPED A SECTION OF BRASS SCREEN OVER EVERYTHING AND SLID A STAINLESS WORMGEAR CLAMP OVER THE THE SCREEN AND NECK OF THE BOTTLE AND TIGHTENED AS TIGHT AS I DARED. IT WORKED GREAT & ZERO STOPPER MOVEMENT. I GOT THE BRASS SCREEN AND STAINLESS CLAMP AT LOCAL HARDWARE STORE. AUGGIE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:28 am

Hi auggie Very Happy

... Any pics or drawings ? Sealing is so important.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:46 am

Wilfried,

Quote :
I know for sure that a ground joint flask (half filled with water) with a hallow glass stopper holds the pressure of 200F on its very own for 2 weeks.

Did you add any grease?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 7:09 am

I will use ground joints, teflon sleeves http://unitedglasstech.com/glassware_accessories1.htm and metal clamps. They should easily keep the pressure from 120- 250°F.

Don't use grease you can't prevent the contact with dew.

Frank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:04 am

Even teflon cookware is supposed to release toxic fumes at higher temps, although that may not be the same sort of teflon. How do those teflons sleeves work? I'm not quite seeing it.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 2:25 am

If you ever look at the specifications for plastics and teflon, you will see that they are only autoclavable up to 212°F, so they will not work for sand baths. I think the reason my dew tasted like it had a strange chemical in it was because the plastic in the champagne stopper was breaking down from the high heat of the sand baths.

So a glass stopper with threads seems to be the best thing here, but actually it will need to be quartz if you intend on multiplying the stone into the glowing stage.
Back to top Go down
yeshua

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 10:20 pm

I found this website www.indigo.com/glass/boiling-flasks.html they sell some nice boiling flasks but I'm not sure if the cork stopper will be ideal for our purposes. I've e-mailed them about this and have yet to get a reply. They are boiling flasks to I'd imagine they could do it. Quartz flasks sound great but my only problem is I've read they must be cleaned with Ammonium Bifluoride and hydrofloric acid and my knowlege in chemistry is about as useful as turd in an elevator. On the positive side I almost have all the dew I need after all this time which is quite exciting as I need the benifits of this elixir as soon as possible an I've been trying for years. I've even tried to use lightning to get the stone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Hey Yeshua,

Guess what, I'm actually a lightning researcher. Would you mind telling me what you did? I'm so interested in lightning I can taste it.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:55 am

Yeshua,
The boiling flasks at indigo.com aren't a good idea for this process since we need an air tight seal.

And quartz flasks can be cleaned like any glass flask. Both glass and quartz are made from the same thing --- silica.

Sodium bifloride is used to eat away and etch glass, so yes it's true it would clean your quartz flask quite well, but it would also eat away at the surface, making the flask more vulnerable to breaking.

Today's lab glassware like Pyrex, Bomex, and Kimax, are made from borosilicate, which is a combination of the metal boron and silica. This is what makes them resistant to temperature shock. They may also be able to handle the stone of the 6th or 7th Order when it begins to glow, but once you move past that into the 8th, 9th, and 10th Order, you will certainly need quartz, and possibly even diamond for the stone of the 10th Order.
Back to top Go down
yeshua

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 3:02 am

Thanks so much for clearing that up Nick.

I had a feeling there was something weird about cleaning with those chemicals. Forgive me, for I haven't had as much experience in these's sort of things as I'd like and I tend to complicate things. I'll soon have enough money saved to buy a flask from Qglass.

10th MULTIPLICATION AND A DIAMOND FLASK!!!! That sounds scary! I'd be afraid to open it, which makes it even more interesting.

With regards to Mr Fields question. I have never been successful in pulling a bolt of lightning from the heavens, much to my dissappointment. I live in sort of a dead zone for any weather activity. I don't want to say anything that will get me in trouble. I've only read about this process and haven't seen results so its all theory.

Thanks again Nick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:59 am

Oh you should tell me what you heard brother.

Last edited by Field on Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm

I was going to stuff a cork in my champagne bottle first and then put cap on it. Do you guys think there will be any issue with that?
Back to top Go down
yeshua

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:00 pm

I'd be happy to share the data I have with you Field. But I know Nick dosen't want any processes posted that haven't been tested and proven. But I could E-mail it to you if your Ok with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dont use Rubber stoppers   dont use Rubber stoppers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dont use Rubber stoppers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next