The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Acetone path

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 3:46 am

Hey my names justin i have been following Nicks work for awhile thought i'd do a post share a bit of what iv been working at. Acetone and sodium hydroxide as the catalyst . Used about 500 ml acetone 50 g SH went well after about 2 weeks of gentile distillation not much of the acetone come over and the whole lot turned in to a black mass with the consistency of syrup. Aafter distilling it at a peak temp of 400F maybe a bit more. Trying to keep it under 600F like Nick suggests got about 30 ml of methyl oxide and 10 ml of Isophorone . So now just looking for an eazy form of zinc oxide i was thinking of trying to extract it from a bottle of curash powder it has 25g zinc per 100g of powder . The filler is cornstarch and fragrence shouldent be to hard to get that out : )
[img]Acetone path 14-01-10[/img]

Last edited by justin d on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 6:53 pm

justin d wrote:
Hey my names justin i have been following Nicks work for awhile thought i'd do a post share a bit of what iv been working at. Acetone and sodium hydroxide as the catalyst . Used about 500 ml acetone 50 g SH went well after about 2 weeks of gentile distillation not much of the acetone come over and the whole lot turned in to a black mass with the consistency of syrup. Aafter distilling it at a peak temp of 400F maybe a bit more. Trying to keep it under 600F like Nick suggests got about 30 ml of methyl oxide and 10 ml of Isophorone . So now just looking for an eazy form of zinc oxide i was thinking of trying to extract it from a bottle of curash powder it has 25g zinc per 100g of powder . The filler is cornstarch and fragrence shouldent be to hard to get that out : )

Sounds neat. What's the end goal?
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Smooth, did you not read the section of my website that discusses this?
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Admin wrote:
Smooth, did you not read the section of my website that discusses this?

Hmm, was this on the OLD or the NEW website? I might have overlooked it, but then, maybe I did and just don't remember. Link?

Last edited by SmoothAmbiguity on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:31 pm

It's on the old website, with photos.
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Admin wrote:

Ahh, oh yes. I've seen this before. Verrrry interesting!
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:10 am

Admin wrote:

Nick
Is this at a location where I can get to it.

Kent
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 5:12 pm

For acetone + NaOH, The Philosophical Mercury via commercial acetone

Look also Secret Solvent and Zinc acetate.
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 am

mac wrote:
For acetone + NaOH, The Philosophical Mercury via commercial acetone

Look also Secret Solvent and Zinc acetate.

Thanks Mac. I remember reading it now. Very interesting. I am desolving the zinc from the penny's now. Should be ready in a few days.
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Pretty impressive work. So now you are going to dissolve the zinc oxide and expect to form the red oil on the top?
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm

theFool wrote:
Pretty impressive work. So now you are going to dissolve the zinc oxide and expect to form the red oil on the top?

More or less yeah , i was thinking of using it in a work buy THEOPHRASTIS PARACELSUS in POTPOURRI1 . Its a work of Saturn but u just swap the Saturn for zinc . I was also thinking of just preparing the zinc till it was crystal clear with no feces and mixing the whole lot together and let it sit for a week in digestion, then distill it . But I'm still reading id recommend DAS ACETON by Dr C.A.Becker

Books from RAMS
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: My Acetone Process   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 2:48 am

This process works really easily with a retort which the ancients used for subtle distillation. I suspect that a retort would be very helpful with the zinc acetate process also. You just need to find a friendly local glassblower. They are not hard to make for a glassblower if you can’t get one off the shelf from a supplier.
I’m lucky since I have a glassblower buddy who is into alchemy also.

1. Placed 30g of NaOH in a 300ml retort and covered with 300ml acetone (BP = 56°c/133°F). Set to sweat
distill at 35°c (95°F). After only 8 hours, nearly 100ml had sweated over into receiving the flask, NaOH had swelled and turned yellow, and remaining acetone above was deep pink-red.

2. After 20 hours, the NaOH had swelled hugely to occupy nearly half the retort and was orange in color. 2/3 of the acetone had sweated over and the other 1/3 was absorbed by the NaOH.
I simply tipped the receiver flask contents back into the retort for a second distillation, keeping temperature at 35°c. That evening the acetone remaining above the NaOH was dark brown, almost black in color.

Acetone path Acetoneprocess1yy3

3. Next AM, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the original acetone has distilled over with temp. raised to a bit over boiling (56°c/133°F). In the retort, the NaOH has completely dissolved into the deep brown oily liquid which now is a new compound with a boiling point above the acetone. I invert the distillation train again, pouring the acetone back into the brown oily warm liquid for a third distillation of the acetone.
PM > 2/3 plus acetone again distilled over at 60°c. Inverted the distillation train a third time.

Acetone path Acetoneprocess2fa1

4. Next AM.. again 2/3 plus acetone again distilled over at 60°c., and again inverted train for 5th distillation.
PM... Temp. raised to 68°c. Retort cooled to 40°c and train inverted for last time and allowed to cool to RT overnight. Next AM.. Retort at RT of 14°c and mix was a solid, dark brown granular mass. Distilled off acetone for 6th and last time at 70°c. 175ml acetone was then decanted from receiving flask and put aside for later processes.

5. Remaining dark brown oily mix in retort was slowly heated above 100°c and a yellow oily fluid began passing over the retort. Boiling became more noticeable at 129°c (BP of mesityl oxide) and a clearer distillate passed.

Acetone path Acetoneprocess3aa5

Temp. was then raised passed 150°c (302°F) and a foggy cloud then condensed as clear oil in the retort arm.

Acetone path Acetoneprocess4wc1

Process was stopped as distillation slowed and final distillate was 50ml oil of 2 distinct layers, 25ml yellow layer above (isophorone and byproducts?) and 25ml clear layer (mesityl oxide?) below.

Acetone path Acetoneprocess5ts3

Nick tells us that.....”And though it appears success has now been achieved, there is yet another step which can be performed with another catalyst that will convert these oils into a compound able to dissolve metals faster.” So apparently these oils can be enhanced further and it appears that there may be various “flavors” of mesityl oxide, some more potent than others, as that from zinc acetate.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 7:24 pm

The mesityl oxide won't dissolve gold. The isopherone is what might be important. It has to be converted to another chemical using the ashes from the zinc acetate process. Apparently carbonic acid (phenol) and other phenol compounds are created when the isopherone is change the catalytic action of the zinc oxide. A member of my IAO group had his chemicals tested after doing the zinc acetate process, and they found phenol compounds, along with isopherone and mesityl oxide. But they were unable to explain what made the oil red.

It could be the soul of the zinc that makes the oil red, and it might be required to dissolve the gold. More research still needs to be done to explain what is happening here, but I think this may be the chemical way of producing and Alkahest for gold which dissolves it into the same oil that the dew Alkahest does. This would make it possible to produce the Alkahest and Stone much faster.
Back to top Go down

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:55 am

Thanks for the helpful reply, Nick. It's a fascinating process and I look forward to working with zinc acetate when I can get my granulated zinc to finally dissolve in 50% glacial acetic acid. It's taking about a week. Maybe it goes faster in weaker acid like vinegar. Duh?

Incidently I loved your new video, busy_alchemist. The cool music fits. Have you ever listened music by 'Entheogenic'?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acetone path Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acetone path   Acetone path Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acetone path
Page 1 of 1