The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few Salt Varieties

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

A few Salt Varieties Empty
PostSubject: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Opinions on this salt? I think this Portuguese Flor de Sal is ideal because its the same as the French Flor de Sal except without small clay particles.

A few Salt Varieties HALF_PFlor_Lg

Portuguese Flor de Sal Sea Salt:

From the scenic Algarve province of Portugal comes award-winning salts that will transform any dish with their clean, elegant flavor. These artisan salts come from the salt basins near Tavira, in the Ria Formasa Natural Reserve, an area that is geographically ideal for natural salt harvesting. Salt harvesting has a history in this region which goes back to the time of the Roman Empire. Even today, this salt is still hand-harvested and sun dried by the marenotos (salt gatherers) in the traditional manner, using gravity and gates to funnel seawater into the salt pans for collecting. Produced by a 4th generation salter, this salt has a very clear and whitish color, but is totally unrefined. The clay in the Tavira salt basins is very hard and light in color, so the salt does not take on the purple-gray color that Celtic Sea Salt®️ Brand displays. We were fortunate to find a supplier whose standards in quality far exceed any other producer in the region. Their commitment to excellence was recognized in 2006, when their salt received the Superior Taste Award from the International Taste & Quality Institute. The coarse is great in a grinder and for cooking, and the fine is ideal for baking and for use in a shaker. The Fleur de Sal is a delicate finishing salt, similar to Flower of the Ocean®️. Like Celtic Sea Salt®️ Brand, the Portuguese salt comes in three varieties: coarse, fine and Fleur de Sal.

1/2 lb - $7.99

A few Salt Varieties HAL_PGrnd_LgF

Potuguese Ground Sea Salt

1/2 lb - $4.39

Potuguese Coarse Sea Salt

1/2 lb - $3.10

I think the following would fit nicely except that i think i read in another post not to use the type with "pink" stuff in it which is due to the clay where the sea salt is placed to be formed by the sun through evaporation. The Portuguese Flor de Sal is the same process taught to them by the French except they use cement rather than clay-so the Portuguese variety is pure white.

A few Salt Varieties Flower1lbLrg

Flower of the Ocean 1 lb.

Celtic Sea Salt®️ Brand Flower of the Ocean®️ is a natural phenomenon of the salt flats of Northern France. Only when the weather conditions are just right do these small, delicate crystals form naturally on the surface of the salt brine. Look closely at this naturally white salt and you will notice a pink tint that bespeaks its precious character.

Flower of the Ocean®️ has an elegant, complex, delicate flavor balanced with a hint of sweetness. Most people choose to save Flower of the Ocean®️ as a “finishing” salt (sprinkled over foods just before serving), but it can be used in cooking, or ground and used in baking. Flower of the Ocean®️ also makes an excellent margarita salt.
1/2 lb. Flower - $14.25

The direct website is here:
Sea Salt Store
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: The Differnce:   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Flor de Sal Portuguese:
A few Salt Varieties Large_flor_de_sal

Flor de Sal French:
A few Salt Varieties Large_fleur_de_sel

I'm leaning towards the Portuguese variety myself cuz it appears to be the whitest, cleanest, highest quality salt out there.

-val
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm looking for Kosher Salt. I think it's one of the best you can get because it's all natural without any additives. But some producers do add an anti-caking agent.
I'll just make sure mine is as pure as possible w/o anything added to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 pm

jairo wrote:
I'm looking for Kosher Salt. I think it's one of the best you can get because it's all natural without any additives. But some producers do add an anti-caking agent.
I'll just make sure mine is as pure as possible w/o anything added to it.

yeah- i want to try the "Portuguese flor de sal" sea salt but i'm not sure it's what i'm looking for. its suppose to be top of the line salt... hmmm. I wonder if the regular sea salt would do the trick. All sea salt is suppose to have that astral fire, right?

-val
Back to top Go down
trueKabbalist

Male
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:13 pm

I just today bought a pound and a half of non-iodized pure 100% sea salt from my local supermarket for $1.79. That's HALF the price online without shipping from here:

http://www.amigofoods.com/almeseasa24o.html

And that's a Latin food store which is usually cheaper than US. The brand is Alessi and is Italian hand-harvested sea salt from the mediterranean sea. There are other very similar cheap brands out there that you can find in your local gourmet grocery isle. Just get out do a little shopping. I kidd you not, this is the way to go. I even found pure white fleur de sel there (about a cup size container) for a little less than $5.00.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 am

trueKabbalist wrote:
I just today bought a pound and a half of non-iodized pure 100% sea salt from my local supermarket for $1.79. That's HALF the price online without shipping from here:

http://www.amigofoods.com/almeseasa24o.html

And that's a Latin food store which is usually cheaper than US. The brand is Alessi and is Italian hand-harvested sea salt from the mediterranean sea. There are other very similar cheap brands out there that you can find in your local gourmet grocery isle. Just get out do a little shopping. I kidd you not, this is the way to go. I even found pure white fleur de sel there (about a cup size container) for a little less than $5.00.

I hope you know i'm in love with you Wink lol

I'm just lazy (anxious) about going outside and really dislike driving- i like being driven. But I'll check out the stores tomorrow.

xoxo,

val
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 1:11 am

If you have any concerns about the purity of your salt simply purify it.

Dessolve it to saturation (until the water won't take anymore) in high
quality distilled water, maybe something in a glass bottle. Use a small Pyrex
glass cake pan. Filter your solution through a piece of coffee filter or a cotton
ball to remove any remaining salt and or debree. Then apply a gentle heat
from like a GE heat lamp and one of those clamp type light fixtures. Both can
be had at Walmart for under $15. This will help speed up the evaporation process.
Once all the liquid has evaporated to dryness you can use it or pass it through
the process again as many times as you like.

Every time it passes through the (dissolve / filter / recrystalize) process you purify it more.

You may want to set it out in the sun for a couple of days to recharge it with
solar fire.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am

Quote :
You may want to set it out in the sun for a couple of days to recharge it with
solar fire.

But isn't salt already fully charged with solar fire?

-val
Back to top Go down
trueKabbalist

Male
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 pm

A little extra never hurts...
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 pm

I am using the Flower of the Ocean salt right now to make the elixir.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 pm

I will be using the Flower of the Ocean salt too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 pm

LOL, I bougt Fleur de Sel (Flower of Salt) from France..
It was the most expensive salt I ever bought..
I paid about 4 EURO ($5.00 US) for 125gram Shocked
It better be good Smile haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:53 pm

jairo wrote:
LOL, I bougt Fleur de Sel (Flower of Salt) from France..
It was the most expensive salt I ever bought..
I paid about 4 EURO ($5.00 US) for 125gram Shocked
It better be good Smile haha

Hello jairo,

where did you buy it? I also live in the Netherlands right now, and I am looking for it. I found it online at http://www.finefoods-online.com/product25380/rgf-flor-de-sal-die-salzblumeim-stoffsäckcertiplanet-zertifiziert.html but I prefer to buy it in a store if possible.

Do you have all the essentials to start the process soon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 pm

All untreated sea salt - including that of the Dead Sea even - can contain miniscule amounts of salt-loving bacteria (halophilic / halobacteria), single celled algae (like Dunaliella parva), and certain fungi. These are harmless, and heating does indeed kill the bacteria. You will not get an algae bloom in your elixir-to-be either because the needed environment for such a bloom simply won't be present.

I personally am entertaining the though of buying the Flor de Sal (Flower of the Ocean, aptly and beautifully called such), although the unrefined Dead Sea salt might do as well, which also has the added bonus of being solar-saturated (for lack of a better word at this moment) and relatively free of polution by unwanted chemicals from industries and overcrowded high ways. It can be refined by oneself easily per the method as intelligently presented by magnum.opus1

Thank you for that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 am

WhiteDove wrote:

Hello jairo,

where did you buy it? I also live in the Netherlands right now, and I am looking for it. I found it online at http://www.finefoods-online.com/product25380/rgf-flor-de-sal-die-salzblumeim-stoffsäckcertiplanet-zertifiziert.html but I prefer to buy it in a store if possible.

Do you have all the essentials to start the process soon?

You can find it in the larger AH Supermarkets or can find it at www.ah.nl

A few Salt Varieties 000514480_001_161651_200

I have now all I need except for the dew, which I intend to collect with the next full moon if the weather conditions are right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 10:59 pm

That was easy, thanks. I got a couple of those today, because one may not actually be enough (depending on the amount of dew, naturally).

Lets see if the right conditions arise around and on the coming 11th for some effective dew collecting (no rain, not too cold, a bit of moisture in the air, and not too many clouds.)

Here a picture of the salt, which tastes great btw, it is clean and white already.

It's from France. I might try two batches at the same time, one with this salt and one with purified Dead Sea salt.. which naturally also means double the equipment I need (thus this decision is a financial one).
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 am

I used unrefined raw dead sea salt the first time I made the Alkahest, and it was a big mistake. The result is a very nasty and undrinkable elixir, but can still be used to dissolve metals and make the stones.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few Salt Varieties   A few Salt Varieties Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few Salt Varieties
Page 1 of 1