The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Invisible Doctor

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-08-09

Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Empty
PostSubject: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm

I am lucky that I know that I don't know, you know?

1st Accident - Installing distillation apparatus. I pushed a glass thermometer through an un-lubrified hole. SNAP! Glass in my thumb and fingers. Nerve damage - NO CHEMICALS NEEDED!

2nd Accident - Emptying graham condenser's water jacket. Luckily, it was just water. I removed the condenser tubing and water splashed directly into my eyeball as a result. A gentle reminder that GLASSES ARE REQUIRED... Even if you're working with "simple" materials like water.

3rd Accident - Alcohol poisoning. Making spirit of wine is not complicated, right? You should probably make sure you are not breathing in too may fumes, because believe me they are there! People react differently to substances, so don't assume anything! I didn't get sick but, I got overwhelmed with hot alcohol fumes.

I'm just telling this to you guys who might be thinking of doing something with acids or poisonous ores. Don't do it.

Chemistry Knowledge:
https://www.edx.org/courses/MITx/3.091x/2012_Fall/about
http://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry
http://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry

- i.D.
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Wow I'D I pray for your strong healing.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I've had multiple accidents involving glass flasks and one bent adapter breaking. With the adapter I was very lucky that I didnt get any cuts as it broke in my hand while i was trying to dismantle the setup and it was glued to the flask. This happens often and its best to use a propane torch to vaporize the salts then you can easily remove stuck glassware pieces. It's only a matter of time before some piece of glass breaks.

Always have leather and latex gloves, and eye protection handy, also a fire extinguisher and sand, anti odor spray, baking soda, dust mask, disinfecting wipes, etc.

Every mistake is but a learning opportunity, someone once said:
The Road to Success is Paved With Failures cheers
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Pray,

Have you or anyone else tried applying a fine plant oil extract to your frozen joints? My wife gave me the idea and I have had very good luck with it. Works better than heat! Just let the oil work into the joint for about 5-10 minutes then firmly work the joint back and forth. I hope this bit of info is useful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm

I had no idea. I'll try this next time. Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Glycerin is what most labs use--it is non-reactive with most substances and will not spoil like many plant based oils--it's cheap too --i think most health food stores carry it. Another alternative is a product called "unpetroleum" if you want something that is more natural.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks guys this is excellent advice. I'm going to get some glycerin then.

I also found the beginning part of the Art of Distillation (in RAMS) to have somewhat useful tips for the beginner.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive   Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lab Accidents - I Am Still Alive
Page 1 of 1