The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Share lab accidents here

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Share lab accidents here Empty
PostSubject: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Share your lab accidents. Burns, cuts, spills, etc.. we can learn from each others mistakes. How many flasks have you broken?

I burnt a finger with boiling water while cleaning a flask.
I also cut myself while picking up a broken flask.
I've probably broken 3 flasks and one condenser (mostly because of high heat / dry distilling)

Last edited by Pray on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:34 pm

One of my concerns is fire, i surround my digesting containers/crockpots with bricks as a barrier and keep the whole thing on concrete floor away from combustibles.
Back to top Go down
NEPTUNE

NEPTUNE

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Transferring 300 mL of sodium aluminum hydride from a 50 L barrel, spill some on the floor, catches fire and the #1 thing that you shouldn't do is put water on (burns) it but in panic I did. Oh boy! And the drum open next to it...Vermiculite saved my ssss Smile
Back to top Go down
cocojambo

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 am

Don't use hollow glass stoppers. Pay a bit more and get solid ones. When they break they just chip, they don't shatter like the hollow ones. I sliced my finger open on a hollow one taht had shattered.

Otherwise everything has been dandy.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

Awesome feedback, thanks.

A good idea to have some sand or vermiculite or diatomaceous earth handy fire fires and spills. I used sand and diatomaceous earth to help clean up spills.

I had the top half of a hollow stopped break off leaving the bottom half stuck inside the flask neck, which was impossible to get out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Share lab accidents here   Share lab accidents here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Share lab accidents here
Page 1 of 1