The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

question on stages of sulfur.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2013-07-06

question on stages of sulfur. Empty
PostSubject: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm

been playing with sulfur last day or two. trying to learn some of its properties by experience and not just reading.

however, today, after i let my flask cool off, which it had to the touch, i left it outside in the sun. came back about a hour later and it had cracked the bottom of my flask. i went ahead and busted the flask to find the sulfur that was touching the flask to be super smooth and rock hard white. in fact, in this picture, i have failed to remove the small piece of glass because i cannot break it apart lol. anyone with more experience tell me what happened here?

question on stages of sulfur. Imag0011
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 pm

[quote="cocojambo"]Basically... properties of the GW salts.

Melting point has been isolated to somewhere from 900f to 1000f. So a calcination temperature of about 900f is your maximum. The solidified salt is basically opaque until about 900f, at which point it becomes more transparent, but does not melt.

Boiling point is somewhere between 1300f and 1400f

It can form triangular and rectangular crystals.

Eventually I'm going to try and see if there's a lab of some sort that can determine what chemical compound this is. Does anybody know what type of lab can achieve this?
http://misterguch.brinkster.net/identify.html

looking at this from the thread " The Properties of the Salt of Man", i think this it what i am seeing. however, i am pretty sure i never got to 900f.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Will send you a PM.
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm

grinded it all down to a powder, and here is the result.

just to be clear, the powder is GREY, the light brightened it up in photo

question on stages of sulfur. <a href=question on stages of sulfur. Imag0012" />

"It has no action on metals, except on gold and silver, on which it fixes itself and to which it bestows its own properties, which, consequently, become of no use for transmutation. However, if the maximum number of its multiplications is exceeded, it changes form and instead of resuming its solid crystalline state when cooling down, it remains fluid like quicksilver anddefinitely non-coagulable. It then shines in darkness, with a soft, red, phosphorescent light, of a weaker
brightness than that of a common night light."
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 pm

where's this quote from?

try to melt it in water, and in alcohol, also what does it smell like?
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm

lol, the quote was from a book i had pulled up and was scanning through about a hour ago looking for descriptions of what the stone is "suppose" to look like. i have however, closed the pdf and cant remember which one it was. i random just pull up books to kill time. i have about 4 gigs of alchemy books on my dropbox account. Rams was worthy investment, but i had alot more books with most of the info from rams already.

it smells like sulfur. or more specifically like fireworks when they go off.
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm

not much, but i have found the powder from my hard sulfur does seem to completely mix with water now. whereas before, sulfur powder and water would separate like water does with oil when left sitting.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:20 am

very interesting
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 am

Pray wrote:
very interesting

i agree. one thing to note is that i did not do this experiment with a sealed container. i was just playing around.

the water is now a greyish liquid. mixed like chocolate coco would if you mixed chocolate powder with water. except grey of course. but it is mixed. instead of the sulfur sitting on the bottom. i have half the powder mixed with water and sealed with a stopper and sitting in the fridge till i have some time to play with it more. the other half of the bottle is still in powder form in a canister. i will play with both over the weekend hopefully.
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:45 pm

sitting in the fridge overnight, and i checked it today and there looks to be small foam layer on the very top floating above the water. i will try to take a picture of it later today if i can get it clear enough through the bottle. the sides have the powder on them that want seem to wash down off the glass lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question on stages of sulfur.   question on stages of sulfur. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question on stages of sulfur.
Page 1 of 1