The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plastics vs Glass

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 pm

I personally steer away from using plastics, as there is an inherent electric charge in all plastic which can effect the process, especially over longer periods of time (hours-days).

The Full Moon Effect:

On the full moon's night, the positive ion count in the air has risen considerably. This is also why the full moon effects us, our body responds hormonally, making us more irritable for instance, tired, depressed, or for a small percentage of humanity the opposite, as the body compensates for the positive ion count and its effects by pumping out adrenaline into the body, hyperactivity resulting (The Full Moon rush some get). affraid

In some middle east countries, Judges are more lenient on criminals if the crime was committed during increased positive ion wind conditions.

But the point being, that it is obvious that this high positive ion count co-facilitates to some degree the process of 'charging' the dew (in unison with the effects of the Full Moon's light and pull etc.), thus plastics (which were not used back in the days of the Leyden letter) are to me a no-no. But it will be handy to see if those who did use and will use plastic containers and such will be able to come to the final product that we are trying to produce this year. A learning process for all cheers

Electro Magnetic Fields is another thing, but most of us can't escape those easily.
Back to top Go down

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:34 am

Thanks for the information, I agree different people are doing it in many different ways, and we should all learn with the results of everyone in this wonderful forum, I will be one of those that are going to do it strictly the same way as the letters about the full moon, and share all my results with you all. sunny

-Oscar.

PS
I realy like your avatar, very cool geek

Last edited by Oscar on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crestington

Crestington

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:53 am

Plastics seep into food or liquids when heated.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1711398,00.html

Here is a news article about plastic baby bottles

If plastic seeps into food in large amounts when heated, it is likely that small amounts of the chemicals in plastic still seep into food in lower temperatures too.
Back to top Go down

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Yikes   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 am

Out of the thousands and thousands of formulas for plastics BPA is the one that is used in every plastic drinking container. The oddest part is that the plastics made before 1981 there was no BPA in the plastics. Here is another article about it from Scientific American magazine: Here. It's not just when the plastic is heated either. The heating process just causes the plastics to leach BPA 55 times faster. Very good to keep in mind when working with this seemingly harmless material.
Back to top Go down

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:59 pm

I agree, that it wouldn't be wise to use plastic beakers to heat your dew/salt mixture. However, in Nick's book, he specifically states that one of the best ways to collect dew is with a bag of ice and a bucket. Now, we can assume that he didn't mean a metal bucket because dew collected from a metal bucket loses it's properties. We can assume that he didn't mean glass bucket, simply because I don't think they make glass buckets, maybe for decoration, but not for use. So, we have to assume that he meant plastic buckets, (which are the only other kind). Well, other than wood, but that would soak up your dew. So, I believe that from this knowledge, that if Nick can make it using these tools, then it won't hurt the process.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Well my first Alkahest was a little weak and took all day to dissolve the gold, so maybe the plastic did have a reducing effect on the charge in the dew.

It would be interesting to see what happens if the dew is collected on glass without the use of ice to force the condensation and then put right into a glass flask with glass stopper.

Logic tells me that when ice is used to condense the dew, it condenses a lot of extra moisture from the air which isn't dew, but just normal water with no spirit. This might be diluting the real dew too much.

But when dew is collected from a sheet of glass, it's really dirty. And if you distill it, that will de-ionize it.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
Crestington

Crestington

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Do you get alot of dirt in the dew if you go through and shake the tips of pine trees?
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:54 am

Dear Sister, Brothers and Teachers,
There are those glass bottles with the stop made of TEFLON, a plastic material able to support even 200° C: it's an absolut seal.
May be it can work or its plastic nature can weaken the dew ?
...And what to say about the cork, that is "natural" but probably not "neutral" ?

Thank you all my dear.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 am

Crestington wrote:
Do you get alot of dirt in the dew if you go through and shake the tips of pine trees?

No it's not dirt, it's pollen and plant debris. . You just take a 5 gallon bucket and shake the branches in it (leave them on the tree of course) and you get quite a lot of dew that is charged and smells wonderful. Then you can filter it through an already wet coffee filter paper (wet with dew by dipping in the dew but don't touch the dew with your hands).
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:12 am

Zosimo wrote:
There are those glass bottles with the stop made of TEFLON, a plastic material able to support even 200° C: it's an absolut seal.

Teflon is even worse than normal plastic isn't it? More poisonous?
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:01 am

So, the best thing is to use glass stoppers externally well luted ?
Technological glass stoppers with those plastic esternal pinche-glass are enough or is better to use lutum ?
Funny thing to say, I test them shaking some spumante-champagne wine inside and hearing if any bobbles...
And apparently hearing no sound even under the water...
Some lutum are chalk + egg made, and others are made by even cheese + bulb glass powder... Even an "external" use of these substances, because of the minimum contact of the dew with them, couldn't affect dew ?

Thank You Nick
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 am

Beg you pardon "pinche-glass" are clippers... of course.
That stopper made by Roth ind. shown by Wilfred it's, may be, the best ?
Otherwise we should immagine what the hell invented the capuccine...

Zosimo
Back to top Go down

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Teflon like plastic tends to seep at high temperatures. Cooking in a teflon frying pan for instance will leak teflon particulate into the cooking oil and the food and fluids. It can cause cancer. Yet, teflon tends to seep only at high temperatures.

As for charge, I can't say anything about teflon giving off a charge like plastic does. I personally would stick with glass stoppers. Glass is simply great.

As far as cancer from teflon goes, you got the cure for that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plastics vs Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastics vs Glass   Plastics vs Glass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastics vs Glass
Page 1 of 1