The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help With Lab Glass

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Help With Lab Glass Empty
PostSubject: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Can anyone post a link to where I can buy an elbow adapter like this one? I am having a hard time finding one. Maybe because I don't know what they're called, anyway I really need one.
Back to top Go down
yeshua

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 5:00 pm

United glass tech sells some pretty good stuff. Its rather pricy but its the best I've found so far. I plan to buy from them soon. For now I'm still messing around with a cork in a mason jar with a copper pipe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm with Yeshua, but I think they have reasonable prices, and a great selection.

http://unitedglasstech.com/
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah, that site is nice. I am just after that one part, the bridge-like piece with the two ground joints. On all labware sights I have seen show good pictures of all the other hardware but not that piece. It just seems strange. The only times I have seen this piece it is only as a drawing. I will just have to order from a drawing I guess.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 1:33 am

That's the same elbow adapter I use, and I got mine from Qglass.com because they have the best prices and highest quality glass (Q stands for Quality lol)

I forgot to mention them in my book. In your search for lab glass equipment, you will find they are basically the only choice for lowest price plus having every kind of glassware you can possibly imagine, and a lot you never knew existed. I could spend hours looking through their catalog because its so big, and I want everything in it. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I see all that beautiful glassware, or a girl at the mall; I never want to put it down. I have to force myself to put it away where I can't see it, or I'll spend all day looking through it and dreaming about the nice big lab I'll have one day.

You can request a free catalog and it comes with a price book since their prices fluctuate. The only other place to get a better deal is eBay of course. If your lucky sometimes people on eBay sell an entire 100 piece lab glass set for $100 or less, but the bidding wars tend to get insane when it comes to lab equipment. There really aren't many websites where you can buy flasks and distillation equipment. That's why I haven't found any website that comes anywhere close to Qglass.

And take a look at the deals they have now on the website. Just click on the big sign that says "New Unbeatable Prices". You'll be amazed how cheap those items are. And everything is high quality boro-silcate glass (same thing as Pyrex, Bomex, Kimax).

And the best part is, they will make you any kind of lab glass you can think up. If you can draw it well enough on paper and send it to 'em in an email, they will make it for you. And if you got broken glassware, they'll repair it, but it almost costs just as much as buying a brand new piece.

Also one last thing --- I don't suggest you buy the one piece connector elbow for hooking up the distillation flask to the condenser column, because its hard to clean out. Instead you should get a straight adapter, then a 45 degree angle elbow, and a 130 degree angle. I'm not sure if I got the angles exactly right, but you know what I mean. It's the same exact thing as the one piece connect, but split into 3 parts, so you can easily clean out that long straight piece, plus buy it as long as you want it. Its a little more expensive, but trust me, you'll be thankful you bought it when it comes time to clean some really grimy resinous crap out of your distillation system. I still can't the zinc coating off my glassware after doing the zinc acetate process. I really wish I would haven never messed with those chemical paths, and I would have just learn about the work with nice clean dew from the beginning.

I'm thinking of getting an attachment with 2 outlets that will go to 2 different condenser columns, and then connect back to a single receiver flask, so the distillations go twice as fast, and the setup itself looks twice as awesome! lol

Already whenever I show someone my distillation system, they immediately take out their phone to snap a picture. My friends always crack jokes about me making drugs.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Friends,
I found this:

http://www.asgs-glass.org/asgs/COMMITTEES/Education/List/Lib-Bk-List.pdf

Just google, download and study it.
With a propane-butane torch you can do a lot of things, even with boro-silicate glass.
You'll bless me.

Zosimo
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Help With Lab Glass   Help With Lab Glass Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Ehm,
Beg you pardon friends,
here's to you the book about glasses.

Tecnhiques of Glass manipulation In scientific research
By Julius D. Heldman, Ph. D.
Chemistry department and the radiation laboratory University of California
New York: 1946
Prentice-Hall, INC.

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=95008718

Zosimo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content