The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Zinc Acetate

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Zinc Acetate   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I am following the zinc acetate method of obtaining a solvent for metals. So far I have dissolved pennies in ascetic acid. This zinc then formed a grey precipitant on the bottom of the container. My question is do I siphon of the vinegar off leaving the precipitant behind or do I leave the precipitant in the flask with the vinegar when I distill it? Or perhaps do I simply need to wait longer giving the precipitant more time to dissolve?

Silverdragon07 sunny
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zinc Acetate   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 pm

There shouldn't be any "precipitant". You did score the pennies on 4 sides right? If not, then the acetic acid can't get to the zinc inside.

Once the pennies are hollow and just 2 halves of copper, then you know the zinc has dissolved into the acetic acid, and it should be filtered. This usually takes about 1 week.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zinc Acetate   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Admin wrote:
There shouldn't be any "precipitant". You did score the pennies on 4 sides right? If not, then the acetic acid can't get to the zinc inside.

Once the pennies are hollow and just 2 halves of copper, then you know the zinc has dissolved into the acetic acid, and it should be filtered. This usually takes about 1 week.

You can use a file to do this with. I use a dremel tool with a cut off blade. I have just started the process. Four days so far.
Back to top Go down

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zinc Acetate   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:17 am

Admin wrote:

I have found that if the penny's are dirty there will be a black deposit that hangs
in the vinegar. I just filtered it before I started the evaporation.
Back to top Go down

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Zinc Powder   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 pm

Hello Nick,

I am using zinc powder and vinegar and I have it evaporating on a low temp of 100-110 degrees. When this is through the crystals that form are what I am looking for?
Question 2: When distilling do you use the sand bath to do this portion or direct flame?
Question 3: Can silver be used and where can I find antimony?

Jamar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zinc Acetate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zinc Acetate   Zinc Acetate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zinc Acetate
Page 1 of 1