The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

water bath

Go down 
AuthorMessage

water bath Empty
PostSubject: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am

i found this web site http://www.water-bath.com/ .. it' not cheap but very hendy
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Water Bath and alternative   water bath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for that. I have looked around for something a little more scientific than my current set up for the Balneo Mary bath. (long story short) I ordered a digital hot plate and come to find out its taking 6 weeks to get!!! So nonetheless I have a heating pad wrapped around it that gets a continuous flow of heat, and it is placed inside a cannister that keeps it insulated. The problem is I cant monitor the temperature but its better than doing nothing. I also am doing 3 different experiments with the dew; one with salt, one with ice that was in buckets overnight and one (later) from pine tree dew. I have attempted the pine collection but it was too windy to get anything off the trees. Will keep trying as weather gets better. Meanwhile dew is in its first cycle of a Balneo mary bath..

What a nice change to the forum!
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 7:44 pm

I haven't even been able to collect dew. I'm trying to catch some moonlight. Every time it warms up enough for dew, it rains, and when it stops raining, it goes below freezing. Beautiful moon, though.
At least it is summer for the Aussies, of which we seem to have several here.
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 11:04 am

What about setting out an ice bag in a bucket or leaving ice in a pitcher as described in the instructions? Is it too warm there for that?
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 6:42 pm

birdofhermes wrote:
I haven't even been able to collect dew. I'm trying to catch some moonlight. Every time it warms up enough for dew, it rains, and when it stops raining, it goes below freezing. Beautiful moon, though.
At least it is summer for the Aussies, of which we seem to have several here.

Yea, I am having the same trouble here in Texas. The weather has been really cold, so when I put the ice bags out it barely even melts. Temperature is supposed to be a little bit warmer tonight. We will just keep trying until we succeed. We are working under a full moon tonight as well. scratch
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:25 pm

spilo wrote:
i found this web site http://www.water-bath.com/ .. it' not cheap but very hendy

Coffee cup warmers work real well for circulation operations. Most of them go up over 350 degrees.
If you get the ones for large cups they will work with small diameter wine bottles etc. I have several Everclear bottles. They are tall and skinny. They set right down in the place of the cup.

I bought 4 cup warmers at a thrift store for $1.50 each.

I have a Fisher Scientific dry incubator. New it probably cost $300.00+. I paid $48.00 for it on Ebay. It's has dual thermostatic controls, one for low heat and one for high heat.
I have a laboratory oven. It will heat to over 1200 degrees and has vaccum and or pressure ports and a gauge for reading and maintaining these levels. I paid $189.00 for it on Ebay. New it would cost several thousand dollars.

There are good deals out there for lab gear, you just have to keep your eyes open and know what to look for.
Back to top Go down
delphinny

delphinny

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-02-14

water bath Empty
PostSubject: (heated) Water bath suggestions   water bath Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:17 am

I sometimes need a water bath where the water wont evaporate so I bought some water bath on e-bay (buchi water bath) and I use water in it with a layer of vacuum oil on top of the water so the water doesn't evaporate, then just stick your apparatus in the liquid and heat to any desired temp. This method is especially good for getting to the higher temps with an even temperature. Smile
Back to top Go down

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Those prices are obscene! You can get one on ebay for way less.
Back to top Go down
delphinny

delphinny

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-02-14

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 am

my buchi bath cost me $153.50 on e-bay and it retails for over $1,000.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

water bath Empty
PostSubject: Re: water bath   water bath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water bath
Page 1 of 1