The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Illegal sales of my book

Go down 
+2
delphinny
NDC
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Illegal sales of my book Empty
PostSubject: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Some moron is selling my book on various websites, and he actually thinks he's not gonna get sued for it!

I got a warning message about it on the homepage of my website Alchemy-Illuminated.com

Selling another person's book as your own is a HUGE lawsuit baby!
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 pm

I found out this is being done by a company called EZshopping Resourcez and they sell thousands of other people's eBooks and music CD's without consent of the creators (like the Astral Projection CD).

What's amazing is the people who work for that company actually find your eBook online, and copy and paste the artwork like the 3D book cover I made on my homepage! And the CD's they sell have copyrighted artwork like Alex Grey's. How the hell haven't these psychos been sued yet? They are based in the US in Ohio, so they can't evade the law forever.

They are making a hell of a lot of money, and I plan on suing the crap out of 'em.
Back to top Go down
delphinny

delphinny

Male
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 am

Wow, I cant imagine how a company like that hasn't got caught yet for reselling peoples books at their own website. Go get 'em Nick!

Adam
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 am

Hello,

I have recently ordered your book "The Universal Medicine" from QOOP.com as I believe this is the place that you prefer to trade through at this time. After seeing this, I thought I would check that I have ordered it from the correct place, which I did.

However, I thought I should make you aware that at some point in the last 5 days, the book doesn't seem to be available any longer at QOOP.

I'm guessing this is either a technical fault with QOOP or you are going to be listing the 3rd edition soon. Either way I thought I should let you know, considering somebody else is trying to rip you off.

Thank you for everything everybody, your deliberations are wholley appreciated, and thank you Nick for putting up with everything that tests you, regardless of who benefits.
Words are inadequate.

Karitsis
Back to top Go down
trueKabbalist

Male
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am

That sucks! I pray justice is served here. That's unbelievable!

I'm wondering though, if they copy the cover image of your book to post a sale on these websites, how do they get actual copies of your book to ship to those people who buy the book. I mean if they order hundreds of copies through qoop.com then you're already making a profit. Unless they hack your qoop account and get it for free. Which is even more unscrupulous. And even if they did purchase books, it's still illegal to resell them without your consent. That's just shameful! Shame on them!
Back to top Go down
trueKabbalist

Male
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:00 am

Oh wait. You have the book open for free download to the public. Nick, I'd recommend you find a way to set a password on your new book and info before you make it public. Then have people send you an e-mail for a password or something like that. That way you know that it is only individuals who have access to it and you have an exact list of people who have your book. You need to protect your intellectual property somehow from thieves like these.
Back to top Go down
delphinny

delphinny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 am

trueKabbalist wrote:
Oh wait. You have the book open for free download to the public. Nick, I'd recommend you find a way to set a password on your new book and info before you make it public. Then have people send you an e-mail for a password or something like that. That way you know that it is only individuals who have access to it and you have an exact list of people who have your book. You need to protect your intellectual property somehow from thieves like these.

Yeah, but what is stopping anyone from just emailing Nick and getting the password and then selling it with the password? Or even buying one of Nick's books legitimately and Scanning it?... Its a very cruel world..which is why we have to stand up for each other while we are in it.

This forum is great, we get to talk to everyone who has the same goals and not some strange topics, everything is right on topic. not like some other alchemy forums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:18 am

Look at the bright side. You will most likely win your case and make a nice profit to support your work. Also if you wanted you could get a little media exposure to get your message out.
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am

Can't believe man!
Anyway. Yesterday I made a little divination for you, Nick.

This is for you with gratitude: when you read it, please, delete.

Every great challenge means strong efforts and betrayals, beacause of the simple fact that some people can't bear the project going on.
Even if they are not so involved in it, they haven't the mind to live in the track of it.
For what concern the book the situation can worsen when somebody will contact you for an agreement. His interests are absolutely not yours. Please, please, please remember it.
I know for my experience (nobody is "smartiest" about it) thet some people are able to flatter in a proper way anybody, because they live this way, or this is their pathology beacause - even if their are rich or powerful - they can't stay on their own legs.
But they are very quick to use everything they know about you or our beloved Science.

Love will change in a little time all your situation and will flower in your lab too (I'm so happy to tell you this)...

All the troubles you can have come from your will to share your gift with more peaople than what you can bear, or than can be endurable for the matter involved.
Your gift is really precious.
Happy to see your victory

Zosimo
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 4:21 pm

trueKabbalist wrote:

Yes I was actually thinking the exact same thing before I came to read this thread again. I can say something like "Everyone who emails me will have their IP address recorded" because maybe the company selling my book will actually be too scared to email me for the password. But then again, if they've managed to stay in business this long, maybe they are good at being anonymous online and hard to track down for law suits anyway.

But if they just have a team of people that search for these e-Books, maybe they will be too lazy to email for the password. I'm just glad they are only selling the e-Book version not the physical version, and they didn't even hack the PDF and change the fact I have my website address in the book.

So anyone who buys the book from those people then goes to my website will see the warning on the front page and realize they purchased an illegal copy of a FREE eBook.

That company even buys $30 eBooks and CDs, then uploads them to their store for resale for $5, so they aren't just selling free eBooks; they actually go through the trouble of purchasing the book if they think it can make them money.

I think the company itself might just be one person who has interests in all these strange eBooks, and he buys them for himself, then adds them to his store so he can make his money back. But he made the mistake of uses a traceable email address on a popular email server, so he won't be able to avoid someone who's serious about prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law.

No only can he be sued for plagerism and resale of other people's copyrighted material, but he can also be sued by the website he is using to sell illegal products, and the email client he uses to conduct his illegal business transactions, and Paypal or whatever merchant he uses to do the credit card transactions.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Well, so far Payloadz.com has already responded to my email and they removed my book from their website, but did nothing about all the other illegal books being sold by "ezshopping resources".

Maybe I'll email them again to let them know every book sold by that person is an illegal copy, and they will remove them all.

Tadebit.com is still selling my book though, but hopefully they just haven't gotten to my email yet.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm

When I contacted the seller "ezshopping resources" I recieved an automated "vacation" reply. Here is the copy:

Thanks for the email. We offer thousands of ebooks, reports, music, software programs, and much more!!! Many even come complete with master resell rights included free!!! would like to remind you that we add new products on a daily basis so please be sure to bookmark us. Also if you are looking for any certain ebooks, reports, music, or software programs please contact us. Chances are we have what you need and just have nut listed it yet. Plus check out our affiliate program where you can earn money by simply promoting our products!!!

Thanks,
ALY614
http://www.ezshopping.resourcez.com
aly614@ezshoppingresourcez.com02.com

------------

Incredible isn't it? These people really have to be stopped. I bet if I email every person who's books they are illegally selling, that will put a big dent in their profit margin.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm

I just realize when you click on their website link in my previous post, they have now been completely removed from Payloadz.com

Hopefully Tradebit.com will do the same thing. If other people email tradebit.com about this, it might help to get them booted from the website.

So when they come back from their "vacation" which was paid for by selling other people's work, they have the wonderful surprise of being busted! Then I bet they will be wishing they hadn't spent the last of their money on vacation!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm

There is no getting around people stealing your book. If you log IP's they can just mask it or go to the library. If you set a pass they will either crack it or get the pass and unlock it themselves. These things are not hard to do. The only thing you can do is put in the top of the book that if you have purchased this book blah blah blah.... but even that can be doctored. Oh and threatening to sue anyone who violates the terms will work the best. You can even put a contingency inside the book that if it is used for profit that the sellers will have to pay 5x the amount sold or $10,000 whichever is greater and it would most likely stick in a court of law.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 pm

That's pretty messed up Nick. I would be upset too if I pub lished a book and somebody else was selling it. You did a good thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:29 pm

This is reaaly upsetting.

Its hard to get copyrights respected nowadays...

This is the dark side of the Internet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:37 am

Hi Nicholas,

The best thing to do may be to register your books to the Copyright Office and add the classic warning: All right reserved. This book may not be reproduced in whole or in part, by mimeograp or any other means, without permission.[/i]
A letter from your lawyer to the plagiarist should be sufficient for dissuading counterfeit, or else a good/long lawsuit demanding plenty of money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 pm

The fact that the book is not copyrighted is irrelevant. It is still his intellectual property, and there are vast laws to protect it.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am

Once I have published the next version of the book and have all the photos added, then I will register it with the copyright office and also get an ISBN number for it, and send a physical copy to the library of congress.

And if I catch someone selling after that, I most certainly will spend however much money in court it takes to sue them.

Already I have the very strict copyright in the front of the book, which is what made Payloadz.com remove my book from their website and ban the person/company who was selling it (ezshopping resources) since they blatantly ignored my detailed copyright page.

Tradebit.com hasn't banned them yet, but look what I wrote on the review section.

What also sucks is they made the entire PDF black&white, so it looks like shlt.
Back to top Go down
auggie

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey Nick.. I know you put alot of work and alot of yourself into that book.. But as they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. dont get de-railed by this event it is ultimately small potatoes in the big scheme of things..All your years of study and practical research is about to pay off bigtime very soon . sunny keep your eye on the prize.. And let the sharks have a feeding frenzy on themselves.. their of no concern to you or us.. love Auggie
Back to top Go down
Hyramposey

Hyramposey

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 1:00 am

A great-big AMEN Auggie! I know how Nick feels, if I had all the song royalty money that has been ripped off from me, I would be well off! It's not fun gettin' hosed, but you are right, imitation IS the best form of flattery! Very Happy

Hyram farao
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/HyramPosey

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:45 am

Hi !

I don't agree at all with imitation (plagiarism and infringement to the copyright) is the most sincère form of flattery. Whe have to call a cat... a cat. It 's simply a stealing of intellectual property !

As a scenarist or a literary author, Nick spent many time to write his books... He has some rights. Why should he say : Thank you for having stolen me ! ...

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

My way of dealing with situations like that is, if you have the money, get legal advice and let the lawyer sue them if he thinks it advisable. But don't invest one second of negative emotions on it because it harms you and strengthens the opponents.

Frank

Smile
Back to top Go down
delphinny

delphinny

Male

PostSubject: Con artists..   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 am

Was looking at Nicks front page tonight and saw this guy "Taylor Haden", Seems like I got conned by the guy..Everybody watch out for him!! I agree with Nick as the stone is NOT RADIOACTIVE and does NOT REQUIRE radioactivity to create it!! this is important I think Exclamation

Hah, just occured to me, I wonder when us alchemists will have an alchemical "black-list"? its important to point out the people leading others astray from the path of alchemy.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:07 am

delphinny wrote:

Hah, just occured to me, I wonder when us alchemists will have an alchemical "black-list"? its important to point out the people leading others astray from the path of alchemy.

I have a section in my new book about the con artists out there who prostitute alchemy by selling fake tinctures / elixirs to people who are by nature too trusting. But I think since these men who apparently lack any kind of moral compass are so hell bent on trying to get easy money, they might try to sue me if I put their name in my book. But Taylor Haden claims his name is actually Anthony, so he would have to admit he's a liar and con artist just to prosecute me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Illegal sales of my book   Illegal sales of my book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Illegal sales of my book
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next