The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Any heating apparatus suggestion ?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Ok
I just think you should do a pilot of this before starting the process,

I hope you put some photos here so we can watch what youdid.

I really made my mind to using the heating mantle. but I should be buying

one in two months.

You think of using a light bulb for the 200F also?

That´s almost the water simmering. My first reaction to light bulbs is that you´ll lose a lot of energy

dispersed as light and not heat.

I don´t know , and remenber that light bulbs burn out sometimes , in the middle of the night when yuo are not there watching...

give it a try anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:18 am

I will certainly keep the fact that the light bulbs go out some times in the middle of the night in mind. I'll buy a couple extra just in case, but I don't think that they'll go out on me for this process, but just in case. So, all together, I have about $15 for the heating pad, about $5-10 for the bulbs and clamps, and about $5-10 for a bottle of champagne with the screw cap. So, all together that would put me at about $25-$45 for the whole setup. Pretty inexpensive if you ask me. Then, all I'll have to worry about is getting a little gold for the stone, which I'll have plenty of time for that. I think I'll start with the Champagne bottle first Smile. It'll take me about a week just to get that down, I'm not a heavy drinker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:23 am

Nice start!
that´s inspirational !
but don´t take a week on the champagne itt might transmute to vinegar!
hhahahaha!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 am

Well, my dear Brothers and Teachers,

Some of you gave very good advices, and all of you try the best, me too.
This is not a circumstance-toast but is to say thank you and to celebrate the beauty of this.
I think there are no reasons to complicate what is simple and, more, well explained by some of you, Filalletes and Nick.

Thank you all, my Brothers and Teachers.
And many thanks and wishes to Nick that gave us this... sunny

Zosimo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 am

The bulb oven reminds me of an Easy Bake Oven.

Verdi Champagne $6 nice long neck metal threads with plastic cap and seal.

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 1evk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Hahahaha, mrgiller, I knew I liked you for some reason. You have a sense of humor there. I was just doing some research on the Sand bath and light bulb that Nick had posted. Ok, so a 25w light bulb gets to 110 degrees F. A 40w bulb gets to 252 degrees F. So, here is my question. If one of Nick's students used two light bulbs to get to approximately 200 degrees, then would I be better off going with the 25w, or the 40w bulbs? I'm thinking two of the 25w bulbs, but is my hypothesis wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 pm

´
Probably you´ll have to do some trials there and take the temperature often until
it´s right.

It`s going to be very empirical though. so start with the two of 25W but keep in mind that
a lot of heat is dispersed, the temp he says is measured on the bulbs surface,
but who knows how much is lost in the transference from that to the bottle.

you´ll have to use your inventiveness.

That´s why I ´ll go for the heting mantle. its a simpler set up.

maybe not the cheapest. but is not so expensive also.

with the bulbs you´ll have to construct someting to hold them

and I suppose to have a black plate so it can absorb the heat better.

and a lot of tweeking of the lamps to get the right temp.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Hmm, the light bulbs might be a little too much work right now. To keep it simple, I'll probably just stick with a hot plate, like Nick said to do. I'll go back and forth from the heating pad to the hot plate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi,

I know that with say High Intensity lamps, (HIDS/HPS lamps) that over time, the light emitted is lessened and converts to heat instead as the lamp ages.

Just something maybe to keep an eye on for any deviation over time.
Like I say 4 months or so may not matter too much with our commercial lamps, but just a heads up anyway.

Karitsis
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Each light bulb needs to be at last 150 watts, better to use 200watts from the hardware store. Remember that the bottle is covered in sand up to the neck when it's in the sand box, so it takes a lot of heat to bring up the temperature of all that sand to 200F.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks again for clearing that up Nick. Sense I now know the wattage of the bulbs I need, I may very well do the bulb method, but I think the hot plate might be a little cheaper still.
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 pm

The hotplate would probably use less electricity because it doesn't stay on the whole time. The bulbs burn 400 watts continuously.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Ok, I'll stick with the book and use the hot plate then, thanks Nick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi there all,

Here are my photos of the heating aparatus and dew after adding salt.

I found a double botton pan specialy for Maria Bath
Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Img_0013

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Img_0014

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Img_0015

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Img_0016

Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Img_0017

-Oscar sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any heating apparatus suggestion ?   Any heating apparatus suggestion ? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any heating apparatus suggestion ?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3