The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr ashan

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-10-13

How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Empty
PostSubject: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 4:40 am

Back to top Go down
solarseeker

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 am

My goodness, why would you have or make mercury chloride in the first place? It's one of the most toxic forms of Hg there is.

Whenever I want to remove chlorine from a compound I use either lye (sodium hydroxide) or baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

The reaction should give you table salt and extremely finely divided droplets of mercury metal.

Do be careful with HgCl any damage it does to the body is permanent,it adsorbs through the skin and it only takes a tiny amount to kill you, and less to cause serious brain damage.
Back to top Go down
Dr ashan

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 4:30 am

Thankx sir
Back to top Go down
solarseeker

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 pm

UPDATE: I've done some reading and it turns out I was wrong.

If you use lye,you will in fact get the mercury out of solution. BUT it will be a black powder of mercury oxide, which would have to be heated in order to convert it to the metal.

It turns out that the common way to get mercury metal out of solution is by adding aluminum foil to it. The mercury amalgamates with the aluminum and falls to the bottom where it can be easily collected.

Usually you use excess aluminum and let it stand overnight to ensure that you get ALL of the mercury,before you dispose of the waste water.
Back to top Go down
Dr ashan

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 7:54 am

You are 100% right
thankx sir
Back to top Go down
Dr ashan

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 7:58 am

I knew an easy way
Back to top Go down
Dr ashan

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 am

I knew an easy way
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride??   How to extract mercury from mercuric chloride?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1