The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
philalethes

philalethes

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Empty
PostSubject: Fourcroy on "philosophical dew"   Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Antoine Fourcroy was a famous French chemist. In 1804 he published A General System of Chemical Knowledge, which had an entire book on \"philosophical dew\". He and his partner distilled hundreds of gallons of it.

I learned of his work in late 90's and drove to San Francisco where there was an English version. This I transcribed in 1998 into a voice recorder since I could not photocopy or remove the book. You may download a copy at http://cista.net/fourcroy

Here you will learn such tricks as taking your reduced goo of \"philosophical dew\" and dissolving it in alcohol, which will leave the minerals behind, and you can get a purer "gur."

The end result for me at the time was a very piercing ammoniacal salt.

Picture 1: \"philosophical dew\" reduced; it shot crystals. Never could get it to do this again!
Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Stellated.uree2

Picture 2: The Uree (as Fourcroy called it), ie the gur without insoluable minerals and its distillation setup:
Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Distillation of uree setup

Picture 3: the "net and stars" of the subliming salt
Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Net and stars 3

Picture 4: The salt is very sticky at first and must go thru repeated sublimations (eagles). It becomes lighter and lighter and sharper. At first you must struggle to chip it off the inside of your receiver due to the sticky impurities. I trick I found was to distill into a plastic bottle. This bottle is flexible and you can just bang it with your hand to loosen the salt

Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Water bottle helm for eagles

After it cleans up a bit you can use a double subliminator, just turning it upside down each time, and removing the oily dregs from the bottom:
Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Eagle-sublimator

Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Eagle-setup cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://cista.net
Kirk

Kirk

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\"   Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Philalethes,
Thanks for the link and the photos (they really give dimension
to the words), your sharing is greatly appreciated. This is what
makes this Forum, a wonderful place. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SonofSol

SonofSol

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\"   Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 am

Amen to that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\"   Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fourcroy on \"philosophical dew\"
Page 1 of 1