The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Homemade Kiln

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
E-thor

E-thor

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I took some pictures for you guys as I made my new kiln- I just didn't have the money to buy a new one- my intent was to design something I could take apart and replace the element as I needed to. The entire cost of this project was about $150 US. You can find elements online - I had a guy I know wind me one at a ceramic supply place to my specs. The element is 1/4 inch wide. I used my little Ryobi router to make the cuts. The fire bricks are the soft kind and are super cheap. You'll need seven to complete the same project. I also used 1 inch kao-wool for the door. The temperature is controlled with a variable resistor I high-jacked from another kiln. I also drilled a hole in the top and put a pyrometer probe through there to monitor the temp.
Let me know if you have any questions. There is a disclaimer that you are using pretty high amperage to make a kiln and there is a chance of electric shock- so be careful and don' t do this if you are not confident you know what you are doing- I got this little kiln up to 2000 degrees F so it is good for all kinds of experimentation.

Last edited by E-thor on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Homemade Kiln Image28
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Homemade Kiln Image30

Ill post more pics tonight
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Homemade Kiln Image36
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Homemade Kiln Image38
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Now for the door!

Homemade Kiln Image41
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Homemade Kiln Image42
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm

The finished product!

Homemade Kiln Image43
Back to top Go down
solarseeker

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 pm

That is really neat, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 pm

very nice work.

I made a kiln very similar, i had a problem that when you reach 2000F the coils expanded a lot and popped out the trenches dug for them and shorted out or got stuck in the trenches and some parts got compressed then burnt out. the potential solution is a thicker coil that is shorter.
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am

There are a couple of fixes for that Pray. You can file down the lower part of the cuts to give it a lip, then the coils will wedge into the trenches. The other thing I did is use steel pins that you push into the fire brick to hold the element in place. Mine so far has been good. Also, my element is pretty compressed so there is not a lot of tension in the coils. If you separate the coils apart too much it becomes like a spring and will deflect with the tension. Just some ideas.
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 am

And, No, that is not my living room- I have scrap carpet in my garage Smile you can see my broken RD9 in the background- if anyone wants to buy it let me know- it actually does work but the PID is not working and won't let the kiln stay hot for very long. In my opinion it was way too much money for what you get.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am

E-thor wrote:
There are a couple of fixes for that Pray. You can file down the lower part of the cuts to give it a lip, then the coils will wedge into the trenches. The other thing I did is use steel pins that you push into the fire brick to hold the element in place. Mine so far has been good. Also, my element is pretty compressed so there is not a lot of tension in the coils. If you separate the coils apart too much it becomes like a spring and will deflect with the tension. Just some ideas.

Very good ideas. Definately must do these (lip, pins) .. In hindsight, i might have separated the coils too much.

After a year of trying to get my kiln to work I went ahead and bought a professional kiln that was used / refurbished, and it is for 1kg crucibles but i adapt it with a steel flange to fit the small crucibles i use.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homemade Kiln Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Kiln   Homemade Kiln Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade Kiln
Page 1 of 1