The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dew Safari Instructions

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Dew Safari Instructions Empty
PostSubject: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:10 am

I see a lot of us are trying to force the dew out of the air. I know this has already been brought up by a couple of us that it might not be such a good idea and it may be better to just use glass sheets per the original letter.

Rather than trying to manipulate the environment, why not travel to the best possible location based on the following parameters:

- Temperature is below apx. 65°F
- Temperature = Dew Point
- Dew Point > 55 degrees
- Humidity > 98%

In my estimation required tools are only: 1) several sheets of glass 2) some posts to prop up glass on an angle 3) a glass funnel 4) some glass containers with screw caps to seal dew in until you return home 5) mini fridge with car power adapter -- i bought one here it comes with a car adapter works great (http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/?cpg=froogle)

I've found if you prop glass up on a diamond shaped slope, the dew will tend to ride the outer ridge until it reaches the lower most point and then it falls into your glass funnel and into your glass container.

What makes this all work is the following website, use it to research ideal dew collecting locations:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=05661&wuSelect=WEATHER

1. Simply replace 05661 in the URL with your zip code - also note that you are traveling to find the best possible location so don't be afraid to try other zip codes.

2. Scroll to bottom of the page and you will see a list of cities surrounding the chosen zip code with their corresponding stats: temp, dew point, humidity, wind direction, etc.

3. You can sort this list by dew point to find which areas have the absolute ideal dew conditions.

4. Google map directions from your house to ideal location.

In the end the extra gas costs and travel time as well as the restless day to follow due to pulling an "all-nighter" is an extremely small price to pay for a potentially stronger alkahest.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

-Aaron
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 am

This is a very good idea Solarstone.
Im thinking of building a dew harvester to collect large amounts of dew on meadows without destroying it.
I have one question. I saw the bottle you want to use for the process. I also bought one of the same kind but I don't know if I should use it for making the elixir because I'm not shure if it can stand the pressure developing in the sand bath.
Due to the very high salt content, the boiling point should be strongly reduced and the pressure will be quite high.
What do you think ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 am

Hey Benedikt

If you're referring to the quartz flask with custom threaded stopper, then yes that will definitely withstand the pressure.

The economy choice is a champagne bottle with screw cap, the sort that have the plastic stopper that pushes into the top of the bottle. Nick has tested these sort of bottles to withstand up to 300°F without breaking, which is more than sufficient.

It's probably best if we use several methods simultaneously. Using different vessels we can measure how results vary from one to the next and report back once all is said and done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 am

Don't get stuck using a different collecting vessel for each sheet of glass, stack your glass and collect all into one vessel via a funnel..this is a rough sketch of what I mean.

Using a small mallet you can hammer the posts into the ground and make notches so that the corners of each sheet of glass can fix to the posts on a "diamond shaped" angle, like I said in my post above.

Dew Safari Instructions Glassplatesketch

3 posts, several sheets of glass, glass funnel & stand, flask with screw cap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 am

oh, thanks to you now i understand what the capuchin monk mean by triangle shape
Razz
nice sketch there, solarstone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 am

alif thank you, it is good to stagger our glass sheets each slightly in ahead of the one above it..creating a beautiful diamond cascade effect

..each sheet collects the dew from the sheets above until at last they all share their contents with the funnel below
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 pm

I just remembered I have some colored stained glass sheets that are each about 30 inches square, and they'll work perfectly for this idea. I'll post a pick of the setup
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Great ideia solar stone!

I was just wandering how to place several pieces of glass in my backyard

Your ideia is smarter and simpler.

I´ll work on that design also.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm

thanks guys this is great, i will try to post some live shots also when im able to
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Solarstone:

That is a great idea. I will build one this weekend with pics.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:04 am

This is probably the best way to "naturally" collect dew.

I once put out a glass sheet of 1x3m at -10°C and it was covered with a pretty thick layer of "frozen dew".

However it didnt work at 0°C.
It should work way better again when the dewpoint reaches a few +°C.

Looking forward to suggestions/pictures of how to build this "device" with several layers of glass sheets, so far the idea is pure awesome. cheers

You will find pretty cheap glass sheets from glass picture frames ...

Wilfried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 pm

i thought this might help some of us visualize the construction which can be very simple.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 pm

solarstone wrote:
i thought this might help some of us visualize the construction which can be very simple.

SuperCool Solarstone!

This looks brilliant and the flash demo helps.
The collector should work well. It fulfills the old recommendations to use glass sheets and is brilliantly simple and should be easy to build. Congratulations!
I will build one and report back.

..... Don
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:17 am

Yeah, thank you _,
I remember everybody that dew should collect in a very clean place, possibly where the smoke of the houses can't reach, and at least 100 meters from streets and roads.
Canseliet says that the dew today is weaker that the ancient one but we don't want to listen to the ravens.
Go !

Zosimo
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:55 am

Ha! Is that a PowerPoint presentation Solarstone?

I was wondering if anyone would use that feature of the board. Very cool.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:54 am

haha actually i built it using Flash, i thought it'd be pretty cool to take advantage of the feature geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am

Hello Guys!

I tried the Beta setup with only one large piece of glass this night-morning

The Glass became saturated with Dew , only that it wasn´t sufficient to

generate much. Just a few drops.

Actually it was quite dissapointing.

Maybe we´ll need the bags of ice really.

The moisture was at 65% and Dew Point at 15 degrees Celcius

It wasn´t cool enough at night.

we had 18 degrees.

So in that case the only answer was to force a little with the bags of ice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am

Hi mrgiller so great to see you gave it a try! please don't lose heart though..remember in my earlier post on this thread the strong recommendation for success was as follows:

Quote :
- Temperature is below apx. 65°F
- Temperature = Dew Point
- Dew Point > 55 degrees
- Humidity > 98%

..65% is quite low comparatively - we should consider traveling to the ideal locations for our dew collecting (using wunderground.com)

Let's emulate the method used by those who came before us - my intuition tells me that we may be weakly attempting to force the mothers hand by means of ice when we could let her give this precious dew to us of her own accord under the proper atmospheric conditions and according to her natural rhythm.

I have a hunch that many of the alchemists of old would wait months if not years for the absolute ideal conditions, and not without good reason..but today we have advanced traveling technology, and weather mapping technology, and so on - this gives us a unique opportunity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Quote :

Let's emulate the method used by those who came before us - my intuition tells me that we may be weakly attempting to force the mothers hand by means of ice when we could let her give this precious dew to us of her own accord under the proper atmospheric conditions and according to her natural rhythm.

Solarstone,

I came to the same conclusion, The ideal night, the ideal date, everything points to May - june. Probably they had a very small window of opportunitty and this makes the whole thing more especial.

I`m slowly entering the Fall season here. So nights are getting smaller as we lead to the fall equinox. The temperature at night is still warm to be just a little above DEW point, thats why it´s not picking up too much. So I`m preparing for the April full moon time slot.

I made a new design of your idea. It might improve it a bit. I´ll do a 3D
model of it soon and post here.

I`ll still go for the natural collecting of dew.

cheers!

Mauro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: solarstone's Diamond Dew Collector   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 am

solarstone wrote:

This is my implementation of solarstone's Diamond Dew Collector

Dew Safari Instructions Dewcollector

It does seem to work fairly well except the main fault is that on my first trial, 90% of the dew seems to come from the top glass sheet only. In other words, the lower sheets of glass seem less able to condense dew at all well. Maybe because there just simply is less air flow through them. However, I will wait until the full moon nights next week before I make a full judgment as to its effectiveness.

LVX... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm

thanks for posting a shot of your setup! experiment with the angle you tilt your glass on, it will influence these two factors..

1. the speed the dew drops off the bottom corner of your diamond
2. the tilt influences air flow, air flow carries moisture and influences coagulation

to test the speed your angle is producing you can use a water bottle with misting nozzle (atomizer) and spray a fine mist onto the top point of your diamonds to see which angle will allow the fastest most effective flow of dew.

i test this because the faster your dew leaves the glass the sooner fresh dew will be able to coagulate on the uninhabited surface area of your diamonds.

remember, using a metal collecting bin will cause your dew to be influenced by the corresponding metal used.

...i was thinking there may be a drawback to this method, namely that the strength of the moon light may be reduced as it has to shine through several layers of glass.

it may be advantageous to modify the schematics a bit to account for moon light shining in equal strength on every sheet of glass --- does anyone have any thoughts on this? Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:54 pm

I will suggest reverse pyramid.
Not on the top of the other but side by side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 12:39 am

solarstone wrote:
thanks for posting a shot of your setup! experiment with the angle you tilt your glass on, it will influence these two factors..

1. the speed the dew drops off the bottom corner of your diamond
2. the tilt influences air flow, air flow carries moisture and influences coagulation

to test the speed your angle is producing you can use a water bottle with misting nozzle (atomizer) and spray a fine mist onto the top point of your diamonds to see which angle will allow the fastest most effective flow of dew.

i test this because the faster your dew leaves the glass the sooner fresh dew will be able to coagulate on the uninhabited surface area of your diamonds.

remember, using a metal collecting bin will cause your dew to be influenced by the corresponding metal used.

...i was thinking there may be a drawback to this method, namely that the strength of the moon light may be reduced as it has to shine through several layers of glass.

it may be advantageous to modify the schematics a bit to account for moon light shining in equal strength on every sheet of glass --- does anyone have any thoughts on this? Neutral

Thanks solarstone for your comments.....

I will definitely increase the steepness of the collector to check for changes in dew turnover, particularly for the lower glass sheets.

As for the likely need for the moonlight to actually shine directly onto the glass sheets, my thinking is that the more important factor may be for the moonlight to charge the dew moisture in the atmosphere, rather than where it condenses.

I will let you know how I go with tweaking your dew machine.

Cheers.... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 am

dejan07 wrote:
I will suggest reverse pyramid.
Not on the top of the other but side by side.

Sorry dejan, but I don't understand your suggestion..... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:05 am

You position you four plates on the four corners of the earth:
East,West,North and South all pointing with the tip to the single vessel(receiver).It looks like reverse pyramid...

http://paris-photo.esem.sk/photo/inverted-pyramid.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dew Safari Instructions
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next