The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dew Safari Instructions

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 am

Hello Everyone,

My name is Field and I come from the IAO group. I have come to share my knowledge and to enjoy this community that Nick has formed with the rest of you. I would like to share my experience with collecting frost and what I have learned.

From what I have learned there are a couple of factors effecting frost and or dew formation. These factors include distance from the ground, humidity, temperature, lighting, air-flow, and the shape of the surface involved. I have learned that either pointy surfaces like grass or convex curved surfaces like the outside of a sphere pick up the most dew/frost condensation. Flat surfaces and concave surfaces pick up a lot less than convex surfaces. This makes sense as explaining why grass is so pointy compared to regular plant leaves, since the grass glows closest to the ground and it is designed to pick up more dew. The grass itself looks like the long needle crystals that the Philosopher's Stone makes. Also if you think about the surface of the whole earth, it is one Giant convex surface, and this is because it is designed to grow dew.

So for me I use a roughly egg-shaped vase to condense the dew, and this will work more efficiently per surface area than a flat piece of glass. Also it is good to have your glass surface area completely exposed to the air. That is one of the reasons glasses stacked on top of eachother won't do as well, since the ones below get less air flow around them.

Next we go on to humidity. The best way to increase humidity is to collect your dew near a stream or by vegetation where there is more humidity naturally.

As for lighting, I have figured out that it may possibly be the biggest secret, as there seems to be something in star light and in moonlight which actually causes frost and or dew to grow up from the ground towards the light. I would recommend not collecting dew where there is any artifical light from buildings or street lights. Instead, you should use an open field far away from artifical light where there is a good view of the sky. Next, set up a bunch of mirrors to focus the moonlight and the starlight on your dew collecting surface. Of course, it would be best to use concave mirrors instead of flat mirrors, and to design your concave mirrors so that they have multiple facets which can catch the moon at the different angles as it moves across the sky. I can share with you all a design to do this simply using a certain pattern cut out of poster board and covered with aluminum foil. Otherwise, you can also use regular flat mirrors which will work as well but to get the maximum usage you might have to adjust the mirrors as the moon moves across the sky.

Most of what I have said above has been born out by experiment by me, and in accordance with what Nick has told me about what the old Alchemists said, and the rest is based on my intuition. I can definitely vouch for using mirrors, and the fact that more dew forms on the convex side of curved surfaces than on the concave side. Also, dew collected using mirrors seems to be highly charged to me. One can get a pretty good effect just by dissolving salt in such water and then taking it as is.

Hopes this information has been useful to you all. Long live the Lost Academy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 2:29 pm

It is nice to see someone from IAO group.
Many thanks for the suggestions about collecting dew, i think the mirrors are good idea and i would really like to see the pictures from your model.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 am

Field:

We are all very pleased to have your imput into our processes. Thank you for
taking your time to work with us.

Blessings,

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Manum Opus,

Your welcome, and thank you too. We are all very fortunate to have Nick and I'm just glad to be a part of the collective discovery. Hope to share with you more in the future.

Dejan,

Thank you for the warm welcome, and glad that you asked. By the looks of things I'm not the first from the IAO to have wandered over here, and there are at least two more. Here are the pictures of the setup I used as well as the results. The really frosty vase is the one that was in the mirror and the not so frosty one is the one that was not (for control).

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Mirror1

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Mirror2

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Mirror3

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Results1

Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Results2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

That is really a good model Field.
I am curios how much dew are you able to collect this way?

Thanks for the photos!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:30 am

Welcome Field,
It's great you are joining us. You have done some interesting and useful research.

That is an amazing and beautiful-looking dew collector. However, it looks like it would be tricky to duplicate. The upper side shows concave surfaces, but you said dew collects better on convex surfaces? Also it looks like it might be difficult to remove any collected dew. It looks like you have used 15 identical poster board units stapled or glued together and covered in foil, suspended by strings or wires from the points and supported by a pentacle of wood rods. Each rod looks about 3 feet long.
Obviously you have been doing well with your mirrors and vases. What experiences have you had with this mirrored pentagonal flower?

LVX... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 am

luce7

Thank you for the welcome, it is good to be here among so many people who are actually doing real practical alchemy. It is a wonderful time to be alive no?

Thank you again, I'm glad that you think the reflector is amazing and beautiful. It's not too tricky to duplicate if you can draw out the basic pattern. The reason I said dew collects better on convex surfaces is because more frost sticks along the bottom convex side of this reflector than along the upper concave side, just like you mentioned. This could be do to the bottom side being closer to the ground, but then the top side receives more moonlight so I think it's do to the convexity actually. Also think about the earth, which is one giant convex sphere. It is designed to collect dew and the convexity of the earth is part of what makes this magic happen I believe.

However, the reflector itself is not what you use to collect dew. You are simply using the reflector to reflect more of the moons rays onto your dew collecting surface, whatever that may be. In my case I just placed 5 glass vases inside of the reflector as you can see in the dark picture that was taken in the moonlight. You can see the vases appear to be glowing and that is the frost growing on them that is making them glow in the moonlight. The frost is essentially like something that grows in the presence of moonlight so that it can glow. It is like crystallized moonlight and it grows in a specific pattern so that it can glow and reflect the most moonlight. But the best thing to do would be to have the vases hanging just above the reflector, so that they will be closer to the focal point. If you are collecting dew, the best thing would be to suspend a sponge at the focal point of the mirror. Depending on how big the reflector is the sponge should become super-saturated with dew water due to the extra moonlight striking the sponge.

So to reiterate, the reflector is not what collects the dew, it is simply what reflects the moonlight. You are correct, the reflector is 15 identical patterns cut out of poster board and with aluminum foil glued on. The edges of each pattern is lined with wire, and then each pattern piece is taped to the next with duct tape on the outside. The wire that lines the edges gives it strength, as well as the wooden dowels which are about 3 feet long exactly.

I have had very good experience with this reflector. It seems to super-charge dew, as well as increasing it's production. Also I have used it to dilequesce a sample of GW crystals. I have done this several times over during the full moon periods for about the last year now, and I can say that the crystals have gotten more and more beautiful each time they absorb water and then re-evaporate it. Overall, I would never be without my reflector. I'm building another one right now for the upcoming nights.

-Lee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm

hi

I thought we should not use metal with dew .

or if i got it right you put glass vesel in to it?
thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Sorry I missed your question Dejan. I'm not sure how much I've collected but hopefully the pictures illustrate the fact that extra reflected moonlight increases dew production at least 2 times. Just depending on the amount of moonlight actually reflected it could be more.

To answer your question Spilo, I'm not sure what effect the aluminum plays. It is only reflecting moonlight, not coming into contact with the dew. Although I'm sure using silver or gold foil this method would work even better than with aluminum foil. Of course, the aluminum works good and its main purpose is just to provide a highly reflective surface.

-Field
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Hello Field and welcome !

Quote :
In my case I just placed 5 glass vases inside of the reflector as you can see in the dark picture that was taken in the moonlight. You can see the vases appear to be glowing and that is the frost growing on them that is making them glow in the moonlight.
Quote :

If you are collecting dew, the best thing would be to suspend a sponge at the focal point of the mirror. Depending on how big the reflector is the sponge should become super-saturated with dew water due to the extra moonlight striking the sponge.

When I see your picture it seems that the dew will be collected on the outside of the 5 vases or in the inside also?

How do you collect dew really? do you unfrost the bottles later on and drip the contents on a flask?

What´s you reaction to the Dew forced methods dicussed earlier on the forum?

( Ice bags, dehumidifiers and etc? )

Your theory that the concentrated moonlight will bring more dew is really
interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Moon Dew Reflectors   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am

Field,

Thanks for all the extra info and clarification on your moon reflector. Do you think or have evidence that your pentacle flower design would in fact be superior than say, a satellite dish covered in foil on its back on the ground with one of your large glass vases suspended at the focal point of the dish? Because that is what I am thinking, since I have a large disused satellite dish sitting on my roof waiting for a use.

Cheers... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Field your design is so beautiful, I like the shot from above where it is on the grass.

I thought I'd share these thoughts regarding solar polarity and the most important mirror, the celestial one.

###

If we look at ourselves in the mirror and we raise our right hand, our counterpart raises his/her left hand.

If we perform the same exercise using 2 mirrors then our right hand will once again become our right hand when seen through the second mirror.

The properties of the sun are also reversed when reflected through the moon and the suns right "hand" becomes its left hand, and so on.

If we added a second mirror, one up there (the moon) and one down here, then we are reverting the sun back to its original "left" and "right".

So, in order to retain the reversed solar polarities we may consider always using an odd number of mirrors; at least two mirrors down here and one up there (moon).
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Dear Field - Lee,
Your kindness is the dew that gives hope to my heart Very Happy ... in fact here in my region, here in italy, there's no dew at all.
I thank you very much, the next full moon of May I'll be ready with my "stanestor" (star + nest & mirror).
When such a situation occur - no-dew-at-all - may be changing area can be a solution ?
I mean, usually how many miles you must walk down to find, finally, dew ?
... And, again like Mrigiller ask, what you think about cold-warm-collect-dew-machines as you can see in the forum ?
What you think about the method designed in the RAMS text Bacstrom coll. (Alchemical tracts - CHEMICAL MOONSHINE) ?
I thank you respectfully, the way I thank Nick and everybody who has heart and wisdom and can teach me real things.
You are my beloved Teachers.

cheers Zosimo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Zosimo, are for away from Veneto ?
Here is a lot of dew, yesterday with the full moon I have collected about 2 lt in ca. 1 hr-
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Maurizio how did you collect the dew?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Classic method = linen cloth on grass
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:02 am

No, Maurizio, I was on Appennino Mountains in the middle of A1 Bo - Fi.

For the plain methods that Nick explained us is better to collect dew in other ways because we shouldn't distill it and, because of this, it can infect.
But now, out of desperation Rolling Eyes, I'm thinking to do otherwise.
Let's see this night.
For May I'll be a war machine, ready with a lot of methods.
These very days I work with glasses sheets with no results.
In wich area of Veneto you are working _ ?
In wich position: hill, spring, cultivated soil, wood ?
May be over in Veneto it's more cold, isn't it ?

Thank you.

Zosimo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:22 am

At the moment I am picking up the dew in the fields of grass -
I am working between Vicenza and Verona ( hills Chiampo, Recoaro, Lessinia ect )- for now the dew it is very abundant - the dewy point is currently around 9,5° C -
The thing that I don't understand is: why the collect with linen cloths is not right when it works very well for other ways? (type the short or dry path.. )
It doesn't serve to distill the dew it is enough to leave it for 20/30 days and then decant the clean part
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 pm

For what I know (and I've understood) Nick explains the very simple salt + dew way in wich there's not any manipulation whatsoever of the dew, in the sense that as you collect it
1) or you store it in a very cold place for a not so far future use
2) or you immediatly mix with the salt that you properly have prepaired (grinded & radiated with sun)

If I undestand well now, Nick or somebody else don'trememember, is traying the way of ferment it or even distill it.

As I told you the problem was, Nick said, that dew should infect becouse of the contact with the soil, herbs etc. His experience was that the dew collected otherwise was different.
Dunno if my idea is correct or, in the meanwhile I loose some step.
Anyway in the Actum Leyden etc, this is the method. See the dew safari Field posts.

Anyway I collected some rain from the last day of the equinox period: Le Fevre say that it has enough nitro for our Opera.

Waitnig for your hints _ Brothers and Sisters.

Zosimo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been away for awhile doing some social alchemy, if you know what I mean, but I hope you all are doing well. Thank you to everyone who gave the gracious compliments, and now I will answer the questions that you have.

Mgriller, the dew only collects on the outside of the vase for two reasons, the outside is convex, and the outside is more exposed to the atmosphere (both of these are related). To collect the frost I place one of the vases on top of a plate and I fill the vase up with luke warm water which causes the frost on the outside of the vase to melt and drip down onto the plate. As for the other methods you mentioned, I think the ice bags is a good method but I myself would not use a dehumidifyer. And the theory that moonlight causes more dew is actually an old theory that the original alchemists propounded, I merely set about demonstrating that it is true. But thank you for saying that it was my theory.

Don, I have not performed a controlled experiment to show that this faceted pentacle reflector is better than a regular parabolic dish. I only have the theory which says it is. The reason being it's superior is that the angles of the facets pointing at eachother creates a "hall of mirrors" effect which enhances light. It's like looking at two mirrors that come together at a right angle, where you see an infinite amount of re-reflections of yourself. This means that each face not only reflects the moon directly, but also reflects the image of the moon on the panel next to it, which itself is reflecting that image again, etc. etc. Of course with each re-reflection a little light is lost, but not much if you use a highly reflective metal like aluminum. Now the other reason I contest this design is better besides just enhancing the light via a "hall of mirrors" effect is that the extra facets actually allow the reflector to catch light from a myriad of angles while still focusing it in the same general direction. What this means is that you do not have to keep adjusting the reflector as the moon tracks across the sky. However, if you think it is too difficult to make this reflector (which I would beg to differ) then you can certainly use the satellite dish which will work although not as well. Of course, with the satellite dish you do have the advantage of size.

Solarstone, thanks that's my favorite shot too! You can really see how the whole surface of the reflector lights up with the same intensity when viewed from above. It is very similar to how flowers are shaped because flowers are designed to be evenly illuminated for the bees to see. Nature is the key here. Those are interesting comments about the reflection of the sun and how it becomes reversed. Just remember that most of the light bouncing off of the reflector actually bounces off two panels of the reflector, not just one.

Zosimo, thank you so much and I feel honored to be here. I agree that the area makes a difference and I like the idea of going on a Dew Safari. I think it would be good to try collecting near a river or stream, or in a high mountain valley.

regards, Field
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Thank you for your clarifications!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 am

Field wrote:

Don, I have not performed a controlled experiment to show that this faceted pentacle reflector is better than a regular parabolic dish. I only have the theory which says it is. The reason being it's superior is that the angles of the facets pointing at eachother creates a "hall of mirrors" effect which enhances light. It's like looking at two mirrors that come together at a right angle, where you see an infinite amount of re-reflections of yourself. This means that each face not only reflects the moon directly, but also reflects the image of the moon on the panel next to it, which itself is reflecting that image again, etc. etc. Of course with each re-reflection a little light is lost, but not much if you use a highly reflective metal like aluminum. Now the other reason I contest this design is better besides just enhancing the light via a "hall of mirrors" effect is that the extra facets actually allow the reflector to catch light from a myriad of angles while still focusing it in the same general direction. What this means is that you do not have to keep adjusting the reflector as the moon tracks across the sky. However, if you think it is too difficult to make this reflector (which I would beg to differ) then you can certainly use the satellite dish which will work although not as well. Of course, with the satellite dish you do have the advantage of size.

regards, Field

Thanks again for your comments, Field.
What you say makes excellent sense, and I will attempt to copy your design when I get a chance. Not only is it like a “hall of mirrors”, but also reminds me of a “flower of life” design. The fact that we will need ongoing supplies of high quality lunar dew for enhancing a whole variety of alchemical processes, makes it a high priority to obtain the best possible dew regularly. I think you have trumped solarstone’s cool-looking “diamond dew collector” with this one.

LVX.... Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:46 pm

luce7,

Information is the key my friend. That is a very astute observation about the similarity to the flower of life design. Actually, my design was inspired by the work of a good fellow named Mike Evans, whose work also comes from the flower of life, so you were right. Mike discovered this three sided regular polyhedron that he calls the trion-re, and all of the faces look like the little vesicas found in the flower of life. Anyway, Mike thinks that this Trion-re shape has something to do with the "theory of everything," because he believes it is the sixth platonic solid, more simple than the original five but it uses curved lines.

One day after I had begun the Golden Water process spoken about on NDC's website I had a strange dream that night where Mike Evans came to me from the future and gave me this little nano-technology laser and he said the trion-re was the main component in it. It was this really cool lazer that made all these different shapes and patterns on the wall. When I woke up I deduced how the lazer was built in my little head. It was a regular trion-re lense that was covered with reflective metal, so that the light could bounce around on the inside of the lense and become collimated like in a lazer. On one end there are two holes in the reflective metal to let in the light, and on the other end there is just one hole that lets out the lazer. So on the inside where the light is bouncing around it creates diffraction from the two holes like in the double-slit experiment, and that's why it makes all these cool designs on the wall. At least that's how I interpreted it in my dream.

So I went about to make this lazer thing that Mike Evans showed me in my dream but I never ended up making the whole thing. Instead, once I had two vesica shaped pieces of aluminum foil taped together and I opened it up it caused me to go on a tangent, and I ended up making a bunch of these little canoe shaped reflectors. I realized if you opened up the aluminum canoe-shaped reflector just enough so that the two curved vesicas come together at a right angle, it creates a special hall-of mirrors effect where the whole surface of the reflector lights up with the same intensity. I thought I had discovered a way to magnify the power of light, and so I took five of these canoes and cut little curved corners out of them so that they could call come together at a point, and that's how you got the final design you see.

So you see, it all came from a little inspiration from the flower of life and a dream I had about a lazer that I never even built. HAHAHA, life is so fun!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 1:55 pm

So on a whim I just decided to search google for "the science of moonlight" and here's the first article that came up which is kind of interesting. It says that some guy in Arizona has built a giant therapeutic moonbeam reflector to try and heal cancer in those afflicted. Also it has some interesting tidbits such as that moonlight has a different frequency and spectrum than sunlight and that it can not be replicated. Hope you all enjoy.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2007-03/moonlight-magic
Back to top Go down
Zosimo

Zosimo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:26 am

Dear Bros and Sist,
I'm organizing the full-moon-of-May-dew-safari in different ways with: linen tissue, glass sheets, glass + windscreen-wipers, the machine of Mrgillar/Franck, and trying to understand what is the tunnel, the magnet and the apparel in CHEMICAL MOONSHINE (Rams - compendium - Bacstrom).
Gotcha a concave mirror from a particles accelerator: wath you think about it Field... (hope I post it now)?

Friends will help me during these nights and preparing all the stuff.
...And there's a lot of dew now, Mauro !

Please beloved Sist and Bros post your hints or send me suggestions. Thank you.
bonenove@yahoo.it

Zosimo

[code]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dew Safari Instructions   Dew Safari Instructions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dew Safari Instructions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next