The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre

Go down 
+15
IAOhohenheim
twang1
leonverde
alexbr
Artyhist
SULFURION
chishty
SunWukong
solarseeker
thepassamist
NEPTUNE
cocojambo
Pray
E-thor
bluefloor
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Empty
PostSubject: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Ascp6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Is there a reference somewhere that describes the type of sulfur and amounts?

I am assuming natural sulfur like found near volcanoes would be ok to use?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
E-thor

E-thor

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't think sulfur or nitre should be taken literally--
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

In this instance it is common sulfur and common nitre (KNO3). The "yellow bird" is one of the ingredients, and the "white bird"... KNO3 is a very light pinkish white. Also, Nick's search for the things that held or from which could easily be extracted the speacial energy;

antimony, sulfur, human liquids, and radiation.

Of course his latest was commony mercury which I will totally stay away from.

He also spoke of iron as being something that could pass this energy on to antimony. It looks like I will be working with this principle in the zinc path as it seems iron is used in the making of one form of the star regulus.
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

As for amounts to use, since it is not mentioned I would say equal amounts would be a best place to start the experiment unless your thoughts lead you elsewhere. No source material was given, the notes are as is.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I tried this out. Melted niter, put sulfur over it. Sulfur melted right away into blood red liquid, soon it turned black and also blue flames came out, smoke of sulfur dioxide (do this outdoors), the flame keeps burning, you end up burnt sulfur and niter.

There are a few other ideas i need to try with these substances next.

Sulfur melts as a red liquid and burns in a blue flame. The red was a very nice color, too bad it burns in a blue flame right away from the heat, yet the heat is required to melt the niter.

Are we sure the white substance is niter and not sea salt or something else?

I recall reading a post here a long time ago that Nick wrote, i remember him saying he wont discuss the 2 ingredients molten together because that process wont work.  I am looking for that discussion to re-read it but havent found it so far.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Here it is:

∴N.D.C∴ wrote:
Quote :

I think I know what the agents are. But how do I mix them. Either of these , on melting, gives off poisonous fumes and turns to gas instead of mixing.I could obtain only a minuscule quantity of red solid, the rest of it vaporized.
Any hints on how to mix them?
Another question : Is it essential to obtain these 'agents' from a natural source?

I'm not going to allow the discussion of the path that uses those 2 chemical agents to make the red crystals. All I will say is that it's not nitre and sulfur. And I haven't been able to produce any significant quantity of projection powder using that method, so it's a waste of time to discuss it anyway. Most people would fail at producing anything, and would then blame their failure on me, just like they do with every process I offer. So I've learned to stop sharing these other little projects of mine with the general public.

I only mentioned it so that people will be aware that such a path does indeed exist, and they should look for it when doing their research.

from http://www.illuminated-alchemists.com/t192-the-dry-path
Back to top Go down
cocojambo

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Quote :
And I haven't been able to produce any significant quantity of projection powder using that method, so it's a waste of time to discuss it anyway
wtf Nick.

This is like GW1, where Nick says to calcine to greyness, but if you actually do get it that hot... all your salt will boil away lol. So I really question whether he has worked GW1 at all. And now this above quote where he says he hasn't made much of the powder from this method, and then he's pushing the method... unless he worked out the problem?
Back to top Go down
NEPTUNE

NEPTUNE

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Pure KNO3 is white, add sulfur and carbom = gunpowder
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 pm

It looks like Nick removed the original post where the person said "I think I know what the agents are" but it sounds similar to what happened to you Pray.

Seems like that might have been Nick's way of steering people away from it is to say "it is NOT sufur and niter." Who knows.
Back to top Go down
cocojambo

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 pm

NEPTUNE wrote:
Right. It is already quite explosive.

But it is alleged that gunpowder was invented by Chinese alchemists searching for an elixir, so I think there is something to this path still.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:05 pm

NEPTUNE wrote:

Yep, came from Chinese alchemy (which is a promising thing that the ingredients are correct, maybe) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gunpowder

Now, let's omit the carbon, do we get a red powder elixir like Nick said? maybe the real question is "how" do we, i.e. the process involved which will take some experimentation.
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Well done Pray! It seems like this is a simple digestion of these two which by the instructions and trials should not be to hard to find. "If the heat is too little the white bird will fly away." So somewhere warmer than that where it has a chance to react before it flies away and not so hot that it catches fire is it.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 am

There might be some missing steps. I am reading some books in RAMS that talk about these ingredients and found additional steps. Dont know if they are correct or if that's the best or only approach to working with these ingredients.

Edit: I melted niter in a beaker, it was a gray liquid when molten, threw in sulfur, it melts immediately to blood red liquid which catches fire and smokes. Repeated this, and the liquid niter became colorless clear liquid, i continued with more sulfur and the liquid solidified as white wet salt. I will post a photo when i get a chance. I did not expect this result as one of the books i read said the sulfur burning over the molten niter will go black and eventually the whole molten niter will be thick in this black soot. I saw no black, also no red remained after the sulfur burnt away.  I kept the niter hot enough to stay liquid, when i threw sulfur on it i got a blood red mixture of niter and sulfur that would boil.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Couple video clips, showing sulfur burning on the molten niter.

This photo shows the niter molten before the addition of any sulfur:

This photo is the molten sulfur on the niter:

Not the first batch of sulfur,  by now the niter has already gone clear.

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXYNJQ9E-VI

this one shows the burning, from beginning to end.

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX5OXKCsBak

got a little closer that i'd like for the videos, i dont recommend you get close to the nasty smoke, stay clear.

Edit: sorry having trouble with the pictures will put them tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: There is a light that never goes out   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Pray,

sometimes people need to start with inverse thinking, (go 0 and think inverse, "negative" or below zero) inclusive with "quantum" thinking yes/no, yes/yes, no/no, no/yes Smile

your eyes say to you viz niter is white/pink but in reality niter is RED inside, so what color have niter acid ???? transparent???? white like milk???

There is a light that never goes out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgXzChwipY
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Sulfur is red (heat it and observe you will get red spirit)
Niter is also Red (try distilling at high heat and observe)
Sea salt is white.. calcined its gray.. distilled dry it gives clear goldish spirit.

Sulfur is primum ens auri.
In Niter there is the sulfur of nature.

Sea salt is niter reverberated by the sun. Sea salt is the moon, niter is the sun.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 am

Pray wrote:
Sulfur is red (heat it and observe you will get red spirit)

in reality sulfur is CRISTALL CLEAR, if you purify S of course... yellow sulfur is a "max-mix" of "seeds". .
the same with "bitumen"/petrol when "purified" chemist extract color green gasoline & more.

plus, in reality S vivum is grey... Smile
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 am

pneumatician wrote:

in reality sulfur is CRISTALL CLEAR, if you purify S of course... yellow sulfur is a "max-mix" of "seeds". .

You mean colorless, not clear? Something can be clear but colored, like yellow sulfur crystals. I have never seen colorless sulfur.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:27 am

I have done 6 experiments with sulfur and niter via the dry way, no red, no black either, they dont really mix, the niter doesnt open or absorb the sulfur, neither the sulfur nor the niter turn red.

Melt niter then add sulfur and let it burn, add sulfur repeat -> niter liquid from gray to clear liquid, then it solidified into a pappy/mushy (when hot) white salt and like a white rock when at room temp.

Melt niter then add sulfur and seal, keep heat high enough so niter remains liquid -> red sulfur smoke hovers over liquid niter, on occasions it will burn and a ball of smoke bursts open the sealed lid, whatever doesnt burn remains as red sulfur smoke, after cooling you open lid and the smoke can be poured out like a liquid, some of this condenses on the walls drips down as liquid and solidifies as (slightly darker) yellow sulfur mass.

Melt sulfur then add niter, try to dissolve the niter in sulfur -> just a (slightly darker) yellow molten then solidified mass.

The only time i got sulfur ash/black crust was when niter was barely molten and i threw in sulfur, it caught fire in a blue flame, i removed from heat and tried to extinguish the flame .. this left a black crust overtop the solid niter. I think the low heat meant the sulfur was not driven away, so i am speculating that if we burn sulfur gently it will leave black ash, but this ash wont mix with niter since the niter will be solid at this temperature, niter didnt absorb the ashes of sulfur.

ex:
Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre 2013_07_05_IMG_9999_232

I will add more photos to this post once i fix my computer issues and download the photos to show the results i mentioned above

My conclusion, the dry way / via sicca for sulfur and niter doesnt make a red powder or a black hepar.  Sulfur likes to burn so be careful especially if you seal it my impression was that if i sealed it hermetically the glass might blow up in my case i did not seal hermetically which allowed venting when pressure went up (but things might be different if sealed hermetically, i did not dare try it, its too dangerous where i live)

I guess i need to move on to either open sulfur via sea salt, or with GW, or with niter solution and boiling which also poses a risk. GW might be the most convenient since i have no sea or ocean nearby.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Pray wrote:
pneumatician wrote:

You mean colorless, not clear?  Something can be clear but colored, like yellow sulfur crystals. I have never seen colorless sulfur.

CLEAR AND TRANSPARENT AS GLASS

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/kawah_ijen_by_night.html
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 pm

pneumatician wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/kawah_ijen_by_night.html

them are amazing photographs btw. the blue flames are just beautiful
Back to top Go down
thepassamist

thepassamist

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Of the Moist Radical- Or Viscous Moisture. It is the Mercury of the Philosophers, which is the basis of all the beings of the three kingdoms of Nature; but which is more particularly the seed and basis of metals when philosophically prepared for Hermetic Work

"The life and preservation of individuals consists in the close union of form and matter. The knot, the bond, which forms this union, consists in that of the Innate Fire with the Humid Radical. This humidity is the purest, the most digested portion of matter, and an oil extremely rectified by the alembics of Nature. The germs of things contains much of this Moist Radical, in which a spark of celestial Fire is nourished; and when placed in a suitable matrix, causes, when constantly aided, all that is necessary for production....

...We find something immortal in this Humid Radical; the death of the Mixts does not cause it to vanish or to disappear. It resists even the most violent fire, since it may be found in the ashes of burned corpses...

...Without knowing that the salts extracted from ashes contain the greatest virtue of the Mixts, laborers burn the stubble and grass to increase the fertility of their fields. Proof that this Humid Radical is inaccessible to the attacks of fire; that it is the principle of generation, the basis of the Mixts, and that its virtue, its active fire, remains torpid only until the earth, common matrix of principles, develops its faculties, which we see daily in seeds...

From all material things ashes may be made; from ashes one makes Salt, from Salt one separates Water and Mercury, from Mercury one composes an Elixir, or a quintessence. A body is placed in ashes to be cleansed of its combustible parts; in Salt, to be separated from its earthly parts; in Water, to decay and putrefy; and in Spirit to become quintessence.

There is, properly speaking, only one Salt in Nature, but it is divided into three kinds to form the principles of bodies. These three are NITRE, TARTAR and VITRIOL; all the others are composed of
them.

NITRE is made from the first Salt by attentuation, subtilization and the cleansing from the crude and cold terrestrial parts, which are mixed with it. The sun concocts it, digests it in all its parts, makes
in it the union of the Elements, and impregnates it with seminal powers, which it bears with the rain into the earth, the common matrix.

The Salt of TARTAR is the same matter more digested by the heat of the matrix in which it was placed, because this matrix serves as a furnace in Nature. Thus from Nitre and from Tartar vegetation is formed. This salt is found wherever Nitre has been deposited, but especially on the surface of the earth, where dew and rain furnish it abundantly.

VITRIOL is the same Salt Nitre, which, having passed through the nature of Tartar, becomes a mineral salt by a longer coction in hotter furnaces. It is found abundantly in the cavities and openings of the earth, where it is united with a viscous humour which renders it metallic.
Back to top Go down
Pray

Pray

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 12:12 pm

pneumatician wrote:

ok.

i'm familiar at this point with the blue flame and molten sufur .. red molten or boiling sulfur does look nice in photos

what you said before is interesting:

pneumatician wrote:

the same with "bitumen"/petrol when "purified" chemist extract color green gasoline & more.

plus, in reality S vivum is grey

could you elaborate on the underlined parts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I are interested in oil of S. so I'm reading text about S and the people who made OOS. inclusive I are designing a best aparatus for collecting it far beyond the infamous :)bell or campanum. so reading here and there Paracelsus say: sulphur are full of metalline parts, copper, arsenick, auripigment, vitriol... doing hurt in medecine so beware of. well, in reality this "depend" because the case in the "oil of S per campanum" of the person living more than 90 years old... in that era of bad hygiene, food ... not bad.

so if S. purified is clear transparent the colors in it are nascent metals, no more, no less. and of course as far I know nobody get any metall from an of the 4 types of S. and they are:

1. yellow
2. green
3. grey
4. red

because are "seeds" or "spiritual" metals and with chemist techniques and "knowledge"... Smile

alchemy is art & science, chem is junk like food junk, comsumer mass production...

Pray wrote:
pneumatician wrote:

ok.

i'm familiar at this point with the blue flame and molten sufur .. red molten or boiling sulfur does look nice in photos

what you said before is interesting:

pneumatician wrote:

plus, in reality S vivum is grey

could you elaborate on the underlined parts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre   Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ruby Red Egg from Sulfur and Nitre
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next