The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

GW Method 3

Go down 
+23
T.P.
Merc
SunWukong
Thanatos
alexbr
alejandro369
ramen
Kirk
kevinpaw123
goatz
Frank
spilo
bonifaesh
Felix_Madhouse
AB
auggie
bluefloor
yeshua
phillip_reed
NDC
Wilfried
Zosimo
spagyricus
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Kirk

Kirk

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-03-10

GW Method 3 - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Good point. These have taken me a long
time to produce. It would really bite, to lose
them now.
Back to my sloooowww method, I want to
keep them!
Thx for the heads up sunny
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Hey Kirk,

Your crystals are looking quite beautiful! Your getting very close. I'm happy and excited to see your progress! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the encouragement, it's been a long
road but worthy of the effort. It's exciting to have the
beginning formation of an ideal crystal. Currently, the
batch has been re-animated and digesting.

You know what... a few weeks ago, I dreamt a crystal was
created and it came true!
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:05 am

Just wanted to post a pic, of all the crystals
before another slumber of digestion.
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-20[/img]
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Kirk,

Thanks for posting the photos of your crystals. They were extremely helpful. I realized that I had done something wrong cause my "crystals" were very very crude. Looking back I found the key to my fundamental error. A quote from Nick (page six of this thread) reads "That syrupy mess shouldn't be there, because you should have distilled the water and completely dried and slightly calcined the syrupy mess that remains, then you pour the spirit (just the spirit, not the water phlegm that also distilled out) onto the dried material and digest for a few days.

After filtering that and evaporating down to supersaturation, you then place in the fridge and there shouldn't be any gooey mess when the crystals form. The resinous gooey stuff is an indication that you didn't calcine the material at high enough temperature to burn and harden that stuff. Once that mess is hardened, then it won't dissolve in the spirit, and only the crystal material will."

I Now believe I didn't quite heat the material high enough the first and second time. I heated the mass at about 170F this time and that seems to have done the trick. A large amount of material precipitated out this time. A couple small crystals that look much closer to yours formed during the digestion. I just put the solution in the fridge after I filtered it of course. I'm sure the next crystals that form are going to look much much purer. Thanks again Kirk! Very Happy

It's kind of funny how the obvious sometimes just slips right by! Laughing

Last edited by kevinpaw123 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, as it reminds us all of how important each step is. I think you are correct about the heat and the 'gooey stuff'. Best of luck with your next step.

cheers
Back to top Go down
bluefloor
Admin
bluefloor

Male
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes good luck Kevin.

These procceses are so great. Alot of the steps (if not all really) are just ways to get one thing to stay behind while taking another with you. Various ways and techniques to separate the parts of a thing and then in the end have what you want all by itself.
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey guys,

I can't believe I almost forgot to mention.
When I added the spirit to the powder I noticed a thermal reaction and foaming. Is that a normal and expected reaction? Has everyone else doing this work had the same experience. Is it a positive or negative reaction...It seemed rather powerful. The flask got very warm almost to the HOT level. Shocked
I've not heard of this from anyone that's why I must ask.
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Kevin,
I had noticed the foamy action as well but, it had been shaken prior to the bubbles. I figured it was simply a reaction to my action, as well did not take notice of temperature change.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Low Tech Lab Work Update

Well, one must be very patient, good thing I barely have time to get frustrated while waiting. Since I cannot do certain work in the home due to fragrant aromas! I do use the Hot water tank as a reliable source of heat, as well getting burst of temp during washings, showers and dishwasher. Talk about Low Tech!!

Anyway, I took my Crystals, crushed them, digested them in distilled water for a few days and filtered through a cotton makeup wipe, filtering out much precipitant. This left me with a very clean mercury. As well, this time I used more water than last which has really added time to my evapouration but it may have helped in the digestion/filter step ( haven't done this enough times to compare )

So... I used the out pipe and strap it there using Alum Duct Tape
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-28[/img]

This has been there for 1.5 months with bubble wrap up to the top, as to carry the vapours straight up and out.
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-29[/img]

And to my recent surprise I have not found my crystal, as the last time purer than before, but...
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-27[/img]
my flowered salt sublimated upon the tube walls!

This is not finished, the mercury must evapourate further. Only over the last 2 days did this salt appear. There must have been almost two inches of liquid and finally, rapidly it has begun to dissappear. I noticed this before when creating the crystal - the last few days, the process increased with each last passing day.

I've put it all back, waiting for the remainder to evap, lets see what is left.

Spring is right around the corner bounce
Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Kirk,

When you say "Distilled water" do you mean just that, or do you mean digesting in the remaining spirit? So far the crystals I'm working on are still quite crude, but I think they are getting there. Each time there is less and less precipitant that forms. I've been adding some of the spirit for each of the digestions. I have approx eight more gallons of putrified GW I'm also starting to work with. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Kevin,

Eight Gallons! Wow. That should yield some good results.

For myself, it was Steam Distilled Water (purchased) , which I used in a simple re-animation, digestion, filterization awaiting evapouration. But I must be clear here...

This lab work, has been something of a fluke, as I had attempted some different variations of collecting salts from Putrified GW using only evapouration. And with one attempt of a unfired clay in the ground.

Eventually, I combined all the works with some Thunder Water, allowing it all to digest many, many months in the fridge ( I forgot it was there ) and still evapourating, eventually it was this Oily Mercury from which I found the Crystals in the bottom.

I don't even know if I could replicate it. I had lost my Spirit whence the Jar cracked and my better half forbid anymore smelly experiments!! I have not used any strong fire to get here. This has been accumulation of various tests
study

I hope this helps and look forward to your results.

I do remember reading about the purple hue you achieved in one of your
works; you are productive: Soon reward will find you! sunny
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Guys,
So, my tube has completely evaporated, finally! Almost 2 months, wow, I can't wait until warmer weather arrives and could consider doing something much faster outside.

More Salt has sublimed onto the sides, albeit not so clean and clear as in the beginning. As well, crystals have been left behind, much shaped like before and they too, were quite clear and clean to begin. I believe this is just the dregs being left to last and then simply discoloring them.
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-32[/img]
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-33[/img]

So I'm wondering to myself... which salt is this in Crystal form?

PS. The Supermoon was amazing over the weekend but, the air temp went to just below freezing, so not dew collection!
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

It's been awhile... most experiments have slowed done... I've begun a new batch of GW set for the winter months. A bigger container, hoping to put all my newly gained experience to work with a more focus plan.

In the meantime I decided to revisit some tests which were sitting 'on the bench', so to speak. There are times when one realizes the method has not been followed correctly or a step missed. And Nick often thinks we are not listening but for myself personally, I'm still learning and making mistakes.

I will try new ways in order to improvise for things I've missed but in no way trying to create new methods and dismissing Nicks words. That being said...

I present to you... another improvision. Months earlier I lost my Distilled Spirit due to a cracked glass and a stinky funk which almost got me kicked out of the house! So after months of thinking I'd get another batch done...

The improvision: The last of a 2 year Dew Spirit - I will use that
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-37[/img]
Took equal parts of the Salt from the previous post and some Leaf, crushed them together
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-38[/img]
Drowned them both in 7 times rectified Spirit and have begun digestion.
Interesting to note, the solution was clear at first but now after many hours is a little cloudy scratch
GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-39[/img]
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-40[/img]
Could just be the saturated solution or... one can only hope cheers

I will leave this for a Philosophical month and see.

To Nick
and all Brethern,
may the coming holidays present much fun for you and loved ones
and for those who celebrate Christmas, cheers santa

God Bless
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Update,

I picked a small rice cooker which has a warm setting, I figured a water bath could be set up, keeping the test tube at a higher temp than the water (90f) pipe. The temp was great at first (120f) but after 24 hrs it really started to rise (155f) and I began to wonder about my seal (only a cork).

I needed to go out, thought about some other type of seal ( a lute, but needs to be created first). Well I was only out an hour and it popped! Some liquid was lost, maybe 10% hopefully not more. I think it was only due to evap not a spewing, as the leaf is still there thankfully. Rolling Eyes

Until I can lute it or otherwise seal the tube, it is back to the hot water pipe.
I think we're getting progression though but making no assumptions. I have no idea how literal the Solvent is...

is it like ice in hot water? or atom by atom... i think

[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-43[/img]
the line is the original volume
is that a sign of the green lion?

Back to top Go down
kevinpaw123

kevinpaw123

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Kirk,

I thought you were supposed to melt the crushed crystals and gold in a covered graphite crucible. You can put furnace wool over the top and place a flat piece of steel on top of that to keep it in place. The idea is to not let the fumes of the crystals escape. I hope what I'm saying is accurate. You should ask Nick just to be sure. study
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Kevin,
Yup... if I had a furnace but I ... don't. Work was really light this year as I work by contract and with the little one, the budget got sucked up... Sad

So... I'm digesting... the Wet Method.

It's a long winter up here in the North, much like you experience as I imagine, so the hot water is my new friend Wink I've got the time.
It's another test of sorts, hopefully next spring I can start anew fresh.
I've got my new piggy bank started!

How are you? anything going on... it's certainly a game of patience and perseverance

take care friend

Hey Nick... any comments from the Teacher? Wink
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Well, many days have passed and the leaf is still there, I guess our Secret Fire, has yet to be found. There was definitely action during the first 48 hours but all is quiet on the Test front. There is more of the greenish matter... copper?

Keeping hope alive... maybe the salts effect any impurities in the leaf?

Hopefully the popping of the cork stopper didn't affect the solutions' qualities?

I'll just let it continue digesting and report any change.

study
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Hello

Well its the New Year and my digestion has gone almost a Philosophical Month. Let's take a look at it
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo2-6[/img]
The Gold Leaf is still there, whether it is the same quantity is hard to tell, it has seemed to break down. But my mercury is definitely NOT our Alkahest.
If it was, the Leaf would have dissolved. But I am curious about the production of something green.
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo1-7[/img]
I ask?
What has occurred? Has some of the leaf dissolved or just broken down as the pieces have become smaller.
I did add some more salts which were collected thru Evap methods but the salts were not very pure.
GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-32[/img]
This can be seen when the tube is shaken.

[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo3-3[/img]

Anyhow... that's it. Not much else going on, life is very busy these days and experimenting is limited to some GW putrefying; to be used in the spring.

Take care all
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Well Hello, Hello...

To those still around I make this post for the sake of continuing an investigation of my unknown, and of course, any open opinions are more than welcome!

So, another 2 weeks have passed and the mass appears to have gotten smaller or at least condensed itself. I do shake it up once a week just to see if it reacts. The liquid has taken on a golden hue which is picked up a little by the camera.
But what interests me the most, is that upon closer inspection the Leaf, is changing.

The purity of the Gold Leaf is uncertain, from the source it came I cannot recall, but it is changing. Slowly getting smaller and smaller and turning a reddish color. Could it be a Copper matrix of which the Gold was impregnated upon? All Leaf is not created the same, this I am aware.

Here are the pics, take a look and ponder...

[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo2-7[/img]
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo1-8[/img]
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Well... taking this a little further.

Decided to uncork the tube and there was quite a lot of hissing, I guess there was some presence of pressure, maybe even a Gas? Was a little disappointed to lose what may be precious but this is why it is called Practical Practice!
My intention was to take a Glass Rod and stir and crush leaf, thus a smaller mass in appearance.

[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo1-9[/img]

But what I've found a week later is the mercury is tinged green, the mixing action pushed up the volume while the Rod was inserted, combining the Green line/substance? Hmmm

Previously I was considering siphoning out my clear solution and distilling down to any possible salts but now it may be contaminated? Possibly it will require more time to allow for any precipitation to occur.

[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo2-8[/img]

The hope is all of the Leaf will be reduced to just what the reddish matrix is the slightly gold tinged mercury could be removed.

Til next time hallowed halls!
Back to top Go down
ramen

ramen

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 am

Hi Kirk!

I have enjoyed reading about your experiments and looking at your awesome photographs. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

That green stuff yells "copper" at me. I am worried that your gold leaf is really yellow brass leaf. Years ago, I obtained some gold leaf that ended up being pure yellow brass. Annoying.

Do you have any friends who have a swimming pool or a hot tub? If so, they should have hydrochloric acid (also called muriatic acid). Put a little bit of your gold leaf (a square half the size of the fingernail on your pinky finger) in about a teaspoon of this acid, cork it, and leave it at room temperature for a day or so. If your gold leaf is dissolved, then it's brass or some other base metal. If it's still there and the acid is still colorless, it's a good assumption that it's gold. If it's still there, but the acid has turned yellow/green, your gold leaf contains copper.

Hardware stores have muriatic acid for cleaning concrete, but it's a shame to buy a whole bottle if you just need a teaspoon. Also, storing it can be expensive - the fumes (which slowly leach through the walls of the container) will do horrible things to any metal near it over time...

Boiling your gold leaf in vinegar might dissolve it slowly over time if it's yellow brass. I am not sure about that, though...

- ramen
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Ramen,

Glad you've enjoyed the posts and photos, I think half the fun is sharing the experience!

Thanks of the insight regarding possible impurities and/or being mislead what I held in hand, the Leaf came free from a source and at the time I knew nothing about the variety of Leaf.

Currently I am trying some of the last salts upon some real Gold shavings and hoping something may come of it.

Will keep the Forum posted and if something occurs; photos.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi,

I've not been too active except another test of salts created, using the very slow methods of digestion, pipette, more digestion with the heat of the hot water tank; very basic and crude.

But reflecting upon the above posted pics I decided to revisit a tube, so after months of sitting at room temperature, here is how it looks
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo3-5[/img]
note that the salt continued to dissolve what ever the Leaf was...
Brass or Copper.... cool.

That's all.
Back to top Go down
Kirk

Kirk

Male

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Further on....

After noting the undesired Green result from the above, I decided to use the remaining of claimed salts
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo-32[/img]
and this time use pure gold filings.

After 45 days of digestion upon the hot water pipe, I used a pipette to remove the mercury all the while trying not to disturb the settled feces, and was yielded a wonderful yellow liquid.

It appears all the filings are there, no obvious dissolving but the colour is so bright and no green, I felt rewarded. The only way would be to wieght it but I did not wish to disturb the settlement.

This was put to another slow evaporation
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo1-11[/img]
creating a much purer crystal with great formation
[img]GW Method 3 - Page 10 Photo2-10[/img]
It is small with little weight but looks nice.

I'ved decided to follow this concept with all the various collected salts and see what they might produce. If enough are captured, they will be combined with Sol, and digested again with the hope of creating more mass.

This is very part time, just as this forum has seem to become... but I felt it was best to share
study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GW Method 3   GW Method 3 - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GW Method 3
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next