The Lost Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lost Academy

created for Alchemy-Illuminated.com and run by Nick Collette

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Elixir Process

Go down 
+6
bonifaesh
Hyramposey
Zosimo
NDC
Wilfried
Crestington
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The Elixir Process - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:49 am

Thank you MO1!

Reading again Leydens letter he says to put the grind salt in until it is
dissolved and it starts to saturate ( precipitate )and he says "or" let it stay there for 4 days. So it is not an obligation.

You are right, the circulation inside and the warming cycles are the key to this
distillation.

I think your photos helped a lot to figure-out this process.

many thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Circulation and... heating vibrations are certainly important .

It seems that inside the bottle is the mini reproduction of the Earth climate cycles. A micro universe !

Captivating !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 pm

chercheur01, I never thought about it like that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:06 pm

chercheur01 wrote:
Circulation and... heating vibrations are certainly important .

It seems that inside the bottle is the mini reproduction of the Earth climate cycles. A micro universe !

Captivating !

All of Alchemy is nothing more the our feble attemps to emulate Mother Nature. Sometimes we do good and other times I think maybe she laughs at us.

We have no patience.

MO-1 king

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:22 pm

These are the temperatures I am getting at the top and bottom of the bottle.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 Alchemy002-1

The Elixir Process - Page 2 Alchemy001-1

The bottom seem to be staying within 122 to 124 degrees. I think by wrapping the
heating pad around the bottle and then wrapping two folded hand towel around
that we provide insulation and it holds the heat at a more constant temperature.

More info when I get home tonight.

MO-1 king

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:36 am

magnum.opus1

I am genuinely grateful for your attention to details and your excellent photography of the alchemy. Please also tell about thermometer are you using.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 am

It is a digital thermometer goes up to 600 degrees. Manufactured by Raytek.
Switchale from F. to C.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 am

Magnum.O,

I vaguely remember somewhere you mentioning which glassware / phial you're using. Can you put up a pic, or remind me with a link please?

merci beaucoup
Back to top Go down
Wilfried

Wilfried

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Here is a nice chart of the soluability of NaCl in water at different temperatures. Although the temperature wont matter much in case of NaCl.

Link

Solubility of NaCl in grams solute per 100 mL of water

0oC 10oC 20oC 30oC 40oC 50oC

35.7 35.8 36.0 36.3 36.6 37.0

Wilfried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Shlomo wrote:
Magnum.O,

I vaguely remember somewhere you mentioning which glassware / phial you're using. Can you put up a pic, or remind me with a link please?

merci beaucoup

If you go back to the first page of this post you will find the bottle and where to get it.

MO-1 king

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 am

Shlomo:

Here is the link for the bottled lemonade:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Efferve-Pomegranate-Blueberry-Sparkling-Lemonade/dp/B000H4GMPG/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_t

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:09 am

Thanks Mo-1,

what is the volume of that nice lemonade jar? the bigger one?

Mo-2... <--- he he
king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 am

It's 750 ml.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:45 am

Did you tested it at 200F ?

I ran some tests on the bottle tonight. It has been runing at over 205 degrees
for over an hour.

Pics.

First pic is of my pressure test jig.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure010

The rest kinda speak for themselfs.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure003
The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure001

Water temp started out at 119 degrees.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure007

The final temps where between 205 and 213 degrees on the top of the liquid and
233 to 239 degrees on the botton. You can see this from the pictures.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure030
The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure033

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure032

I could keep the temperature pretty constant as long as I didn't
raise the garage door. I am using a hot plate from Walgreens per
Nicks suggestion. I also have a lab bunsen burner screen on the
hot plate to keep the temperature even across the bottom of the bottle.
The unit has a pretty acurate temp control. The digital thermometer
really help in setting the temperature.

The Elixir Process - Page 2 BottlePressure031

MO-1 king

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:58 am

It's 12:55 am I started the test at 11:30 pm. I just checked the test it is running at
205 degrees and appears to be real stable. I am going to let run overnight. I will
check it in the morning at 6:30 am when I bring in my dew.

Blessings,

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 am

Hi,

Thanks again for showing the descriptive method so clearly Magnum.
I expect you are keeping that pressure jig throughout the first firing.
Is it worth cutting that paper cup about 4-5 inches up from the bottom as veiwed in the photograph?

Just wondering if it will make a difference to the temperature of the upper areas of your bottle over longer periods of time, whilst the hot air stores under its canopy. (Or heat transfer).

Just checking as you know what you're doing.

Best Wishes
Karitsis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:22 am

This is just a test. I have only water in the bottle. I ran the test from 11:30pm
last night till 7:am this morning with no problems. When I checked it this
morning the temp was 213 degrees at the top of the liquid line.
I am confident the bottle will hold the 200 degree temp without any problems.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks you Mo.1

For the idea of the Infrared Thermometer, I just Bought me one. geek It is amazing the diference that makes technology, 500 years ago and today.... I love it !!! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 am

Water does not boil in a sealed container. I have raised the temp. up to 300 without breaking a champagne bottle. But for safety and for the sake of not wanting to loose your Alkahest after months of digestion, the best container is a quartz flask, especially since you will need it ianyway f you want to bring the stone to the glowing stage.

But perhaps borosilicate glass (Pyrex, Kimax, Bomex) will be able to withstand the stone when it's brought past the 5th multiplication.
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:12 am

Is it worth cutting that paper cup about 4-5 inches up from the bottom as veiwed
in the photograph?

The main purpose for the plastic cup on the top was to protect myself if the seal
blew while I was testing the bottle. I raised the 2x4 and the steel weight about
1.5 inches to give the cap room to blow off. The plastic cup is there to deflect all
the hot water and steam down around the sides of the bottle and hopefully
not on me. That would be very bad.

Yes , Nick I noticed that the water did not boil inside the bottle. I had it up to
118 degrees at the top of the water line and 141 degrees at the bottom of
the bottle.
Thanks for the info.

MO-1 king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 am

But perhaps borosilicate glass (Pyrex, Kimax, Bomex) will be able to withstand the stone when it's brought past the 5th multiplication.

Nick:

That might be something to look into. I will see if I can find a suitable container
that we can seal that will work like one of these bottles.

MO-1
king
Back to top Go down
NDC
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:37 am

There are plenty of pyrex bottles with screw cap tops, but a ground glass stopper with lute works just fine and is probably better.

So I don't understand what you mean when you say you are going to try and find a container made of borosilcate glass.

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://alchemy-illuminated.com

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:51 am

Nick Said:
"Water does not boil in a sealed container. I have raised the temp. up to 300 without breaking a champagne bottle."

Interesting!,

So What I said erlier about the influence of the altitude might not matter much or yes?

I Found that in a Pressure Pan Water will boil in the 248 F range ( 120 Celcius )

and the inside pressure could go as high up as 4 Atmospheres.

So anyway there will be a lot of pressure there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: A question regarding the Dew process....   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 am

Regarding the Dew process.... I have now just passed 15 days with my bottle in the sand bath for the first time (at 200°F) and after 50 days in the Bain Marie (at 130°F). On examining the contents I see a brown precipitate floating on the bottom, a little thicker and heavier now, than it was after the first 50 days. My question is this...... Should I continue incubating at 200°F until my precipitate becomes more gray and more like a salt, or should I nevertheless switch the bottle back to to the Bain Marie at 130°F. My gut feeling (with the help of a pendulum) is to continue at 200°F for a while in order to see more change?? I am sure others will find such dilemmas along the Path.
........ Don
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello DOn,

What are you using for the sand bath ?

I also think that if you are getting the brown precipitant is a good sign.

Did you use the regular table salt?

Cheers!

Mrgiller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Elixir Process   The Elixir Process - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Elixir Process
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next